How to define HUGE array memory ??

singula...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2009, 5:55:05 AM1/30/09
Hi all,

First, sorry for asking this question in more than one group, it's a
little urgent and I don't know which forum is the best for this kind
of questions.

I'm using Borland Builder 4.0 (yes, it's kind of old but I like it
very much!!) on Windows-XP computer that have 1.0 GB of RAM, and for
an application that I'm trying to write, I need to use LOT LOT of
memory, I need to use huge Float and Int arrays, for example let's say
(I'm not sure exactly about the exact size that I'll need) -

float HugeFloatArray[752538742];
int HugeIntArray[475538742];
.
.
.
.

HugeFloatArray[35] = 28.725;
HugeIntArray[43735] = 1082;
.
.
.
.

But when I try it, I'm getting all kind of strange error messages like
-

"[Linker Error] Fatal: Error detected (LME1398)."

Then what is the best (and most easiest !!) way to define HUGE arrays
in the memory? I guess that becouse my PC have only 1.0 GB of RAM
memory the application will actually have to use lot of read/write to
the hard disk which will be used as part of the memory....... I guess
that it will make my application run much slower :-( , also my
application will have to do lot of read/write to this arrays, is it a
problem? becouse I know that there is a limit to the number of times
that you can read and write to the hard disk..... I don't want to ruin
my PC......

So what is the best solution for this?

Can someone please show me a clean piece of code that I can do copy-
paste and check it right away without having to search more about it
in the internet/google ?

Thanks very much!

( By the way, if someone remember, some years ago I used to read the
"Borland Builder newsgroups" in an "old fation" web base site, not
through google, you could send there messages without any
registration, and without having to use the Internet Explorer to read
and write messages, I remember someone by the name Remy that was a
'TeamB' and used to answer lot of questions and help.... is there
still access to this old pages? I can't find it in google.)

Hope for some good answers.

Thanks very much!
John.