Internal Compiler errors - One solution for some cases

softcoder

Jan 15, 2008, 11:20:21 AM1/15/08
Well it came back! For years we have had issues with various internal
compiler errors in versions of C++ Builder, for various reasons (ususally
dealing with use of c++ templates). This time after everything had been
compiling just fine using the lovely new msbuild in bds2007, making changes
elsewhere in an unrelated area of a project our build stopped and we got
internal compiler errors pointing to code that hadn't changed for a long
time. After trying many different things (googling and reading codegear
articles) we found one thing that helped our main internal compiler issues,
namely "pre-compiled headers". For the projects that seem to be especially
touchy with internal compiler errors we have found that disabling
pre-compiled headers removes those errors for good (and it works in past
versions of bcb as well).

Just wanted to pass along to anyone who may not have known this already in
hopes to save you some grief.

Thanks

--
Mark Vejvoda
website: www.soft-haus.com

Kevin G. Rhoads

Jan 17, 2008, 11:40:47 PM1/17/08
>After trying many different things (googling and reading codegear
>articles) we found one thing that helped our main internal compiler issues,
>namely "pre-compiled headers".

1) Thanks for sharing your experience.
2) This just reinforces my experiences, that precompiled headers are EVIL -- the
time savings are not worth the headaches they introduce -- this is a "feature"
that is still in ALPHA testing