integration of MSDN Help into Codewright

1 view

Mai Kee Reiss

Feb 8, 2008, 9:15:10 AM2/8/08
This posting is for everyone who is interested in.
But also for myself, if I ask this question some years later via google
groups ;-)

Assume, you have already installed MSDN.
Assume, you have already installed CodeWrigth 7.x

in CW, tap on "Help" | "Configure Help Index" | "MSDN Help Setup..."

If you have (the rather outdated) MS Visual Studio 6 (aka Studio 97)
installed, just select it, done. Fine.

But if you want to use a more recent MSDN Help from, say, your "MSDN
Subscription" packet, you have to select "MSDN ibrary Visual Studio.NET"
And under "Collection Reference", there is a wrong preset given. Bad?
Not to bad!
Take the first part "ms-help://MS." into the clipboard.
Open regedit or any registry tool of your choice. Search for the string
stored in the clipboard. You'll get something like
"ms-help://MS.MSDNQTR.2004OCT.1033" (or newer, depending on your MSDN
installation). Take this string into CW' edit field.
Tap on okay, lay back until CW finished indexing.
Voila!
Every time CW does not find a keyword in one of the *.hlp files, it
opens MSDN viever and preselects the right topic.

Tested up to MSDNQTR.2007OCT, works fine for me!

Thanks to original Premia Team, who gave me this hint by email a couple
of years ago...

--
Mai Kee Reiss