Meaningless QC MOTD.

Jason Cipriani

Jun 29, 2008, 7:37:58 PM6/29/08
Today's QC MOTD:

====
06/16/2008 - Effective immediately, all references to "qc.borland.com"
should be updated to point to "qc.codegear.com" for all QualityCentral
clients. For the standard QualityCentral Windows client, the
QualityCentral.ini file (found in the same directory as the executable) is
all that needs to be updated.

The browser interface for QualityCentral is http://qc.codegear.com.

Other clients will have this configuration information in other places.
Check the documentation for other QC clients to find out how to configure
them.
====

Ok, here's a better idea: Release a QC update that makes this change so the
client downloader gets it, and that way I don't need to hunt around for a
configuration file that doesn't actually exist (same directory as *what*
executable?). What is this message talking about anyway? What am I supposed
to do with it?

Thanks,
Jason

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Jun 29, 2008, 10:06:18 PM6/29/08
Jason Cipriani wrote:

> Ok, here's a better idea: Release a QC update that makes this change
> so the client downloader gets it, and that way I don't need to hunt
> around for a configuration file that doesn't actually exist (same

> directory as what executable?). What is this message talking about

> anyway? What am I supposed to do with it?

Presumably, update any browser bookmarks/shortcuts you have, and also
update any links on web pages that you have, that point to the old URL.

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Jason Cipriani

Jun 29, 2008, 10:35:47 PM6/29/08
"Dave Nottage [TeamB]" <david...@radsoft.com.au> wrote in message

So, what's QualityCentral.ini? It was mentioned explicitly, it said I needed
up update it, so I'm assuming I'm going to have to do something to it to
keep the QC client working, according to the message.

Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Jun 29, 2008, 10:59:45 PM6/29/08
Jason Cipriani wrote:

> So, what's QualityCentral.ini? It was mentioned explicitly, it said I
> needed up update it

It's located in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application
Data\QualityCentral

--
Dave Nottage [TeamB]

Leo Siefert

Jun 30, 2008, 8:32:26 AM6/30/08
Dave Nottage wrote:

>C:\Documents and Settings\<your username>\Application
>Data\QualityCentral

Well, there is one there, but I followed the instructions and changed
the one in the same folder as QualityCentral.exe and everything works
properly. I checked and the change is also contained in the Docs and
Settings ini file, but that one shows the date that I last used the
program and the one with the exe shows the date I made the edit.

- Leo

Jason Cipriani

Jun 30, 2008, 8:39:49 AM6/30/08

"Leo Siefert" <lIHATESP...@senate.michigan.gov> wrote in message

Why do you have one in the same place as QualityCentral.exe and I don't?

John Herbster

Jun 30, 2008, 9:11:01 AM6/30/08
"Jason Cipriani" <jason.c...@nospam-gmail.com> wrote
> Ok, here's a better idea: ... that way I don't need to hunt

> around for a configuration file that doesn't actually exist
> (same directory as *what* executable?). What is this
> message talking about anyway? What am I supposed
> to do with it?

I agree that the message should have been more explanative.
We around here, are accustomed to terse statements, often
forgetting that we should be aiming to getting our message
across to 99% or so of the readers. --JohnH

John Herbster

Jun 30, 2008, 9:13:56 AM6/30/08
"Jason Cipriani" <jason.c...@nospam-gmail.com> wrote

> Why do you have one in the same place as QualityCentral.exe and I don't?

Conversations like this remind me of the parlor game
"Twenty questions".

John Kaster (CodeGear)

Jul 1, 2008, 12:50:38 AM7/1/08
Jason Cipriani wrote:

> Ok, here's a better idea: Release a QC update that makes this change
> so the client downloader gets it,

The QC client does update a lot of those refs itself automatically.
However, we can't guarantee everyone will get the new client before the
URL is no longer valid. How do we help those people?

--
John Kaster http://blogs.codegear.com/johnk
CodeGear Developer Network: http://dn.codegear.com

Jason Cipriani

Jul 1, 2008, 5:19:16 AM7/1/08
"John Kaster (CodeGear)" <jka...@codegear.com> wrote in message

> Jason Cipriani wrote:
>
>> Ok, here's a better idea: Release a QC update that makes this change
>> so the client downloader gets it,
>
> The QC client does update a lot of those refs itself automatically.
> However, we can't guarantee everyone will get the new client before the
> URL is no longer valid. How do we help those people?

Possibly by giving them meaningful instructions referencing configuration
files that actually exist.

Leo Siefert

Jul 1, 2008, 8:31:04 AM7/1/08
Jason Cipriani wrote:

>Why do you have one in the same
>place as QualityCentral.exe and I don't?

I can only assume that it's because I had an earlier version of QC
installed that kept its ini file in the same folder as the exe.
Interesting and convenient that QC still reads the file - I have it
installed on an external HD and the change is effective on any
computer I run it from. Personally, I think all programs should be
transportable like that, but Microsoft has other ideas.

- Leo

Robert Schieck (TeamB)

Jul 1, 2008, 10:40:22 AM7/1/08
Jason Cipriani wrote:

> Why do you have one in the same place as QualityCentral.exe and I
> don't?

Prior to 'Vista' the .ini and the .exe were in the same directory.

Vista won't allow that when you install the .exe in the 'program files'
directory tree.

hth

--
Rob Schieck (TeamB)

Markus.Humm

Jul 2, 2008, 12:39:02 PM7/2/08
Hello,

just create a update for D2007 which contains just the updated QC
client...will give those who didn't yet update it 10 votes per report as
well.

Greetings

Markus

Markus.Humm

Jul 2, 2008, 12:38:05 PM7/2/08
Hello,

XP also only allows it with admin rights.
That is with read write acces.

Greetings

Markus