problems uploading images

Mariana Hernandez

Jan 15, 2020, 2:35:32 PM1/15/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
We are having problems uploading images into our game.  We tried saving to google drive and then inserting but it is not  working.

Shriram Krishnamurthi

Jan 15, 2020, 3:19:33 PM1/15/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mariana. Are you doing Bootstrap:Algebra in WeScheme? Just want to check because we support multiple platforms, etc.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM Mariana Hernandez <mhern...@rcsdk8.net> wrote:
We are having problems uploading images into our game.  We tried saving to google drive and then inserting but it is not  working.

This is a staff email account managed by Redwood City School District. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

Mariana Hernandez

Jan 15, 2020, 11:24:36 PM1/15/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Yes,  we are doing bootstrap in Wescheme.  We have most of the game done, some students wanted to go back and change their characters and our tip of downloading the image and then inserting from drive is not working.  I can do it on my MacBook but not on Chromebooks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bootstrap-Teachers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bootstrap-discuss/CAJUf2ySaS1sH7OimHn4FMibo-FvmU%2BGz5tVxXey_NTdFwW_RdA%40mail.gmail.com.

Schanzer (Director)

Jan 16, 2020, 6:46:31 AM1/16/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Hi Mariana - Can you say more about what's not working? The usual steps for including an image from drive are:
  1. Click the "Images" button
  2. A modal window pops up, showing you all the publicly-accessible images stored in your Drive
  3. Click on the image you want
  4. Click "select"
Which step breaks down for you? And if there's an error message, can you screenshot it or copy it here?

Thanks!

Mariana Hernandez

Jan 16, 2020, 2:36:25 PM1/16/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
We can follow all those steps.  the bitmap/url image is inserted, we add the closing () And then nothing.

Mariana Hernandez
8th grade Math
McKinley Institute of Technology
Redwood City, CA

Screenshot 2020-01-16 at 11.29.49 AM.png

Eric Allatta

Jan 16, 2020, 3:18:53 PM1/16/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mariana,

I'm a Bootstrap teacher with a school Google Domain. I tried some different combinations to see if I could duplicate what you are seeing.

I was able to insert images where I was the owner (regardless of whether the permissions were public or private) and where I was not the owner but had edit permissions on the folder containing the image.

The only time I got the same "unable to load" message that you are seeing was when I was not the owner and only had viewing permissions.

Is there any chance this situation might apply to the image you are using? Can you add an image where you are the owner to a program created with your account?

Caveat: This only applies to running a program when you are logged in. To share a program the image would definitely need an image that is viewable to the public. On my school domain students do not have the option to share files publicly outside of the domain, so we could not use the insert from drive option.

Eric Allatta
Academy for Software Engineering
New York, NY

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Bootstrap-Teachers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bootstrap-discuss/CAH2PgBDUoKgiYXH%2BpAUkURLJTdKLkfpZ%2BS1%3DPVmwZba17qqP4Q%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Eric Allatta
CS Department

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Permanent student records data is protected by federal law (FERPA), and shall not be disclosed except to the student, those with a defined educational responsibility for the student, and the parent(s) and legal guardians of the individual student. Please use due care when working with and sharing electronic records.

Schanzer (Director)

Jan 17, 2020, 7:09:19 AM1/17/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Based on the screenshot you shared (thanks!!), I think Eric is right on the money. Let us know when you have a chance to investigate the sharing permissions?

Another thing you can do to test this is to copy the exact image URL that's in WeScheme, then open a private/incognito window and try pasting it in. If a private browser can access the image, WeScheme should be able to. And if it can't, then it's definitely a sharing settings issue.