New Teachpack?

Kris Mueller

Jan 27, 2019, 11:03:51 AM1/27/19
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I used the bootstrap curriculum with students a couple of years ago, and I was hoping to show off some of their games at a workshop on Monday. I went to load their games, and they no longer load up. Did something change over the past year?

Is there any thing I can do to make a game work again?

Here is an example:

Thanks for any advice!

Kris

Schanzer (Director)

Jan 27, 2019, 11:19:17 AM1/27/19
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Hi Kris - thanks for writing!

The teachpack works just fine, and I was able to run the game you posted and get the following error:

It looks like one of the images your student chose is no longer available. If you try to load that URL in another tab, the server takes long time to finally give up - so WeScheme is stuck waiting for quite a while before showing the error. Changing the DANGER to another image (or even just a red triangle) should fix the issue, and allow WeScheme to move on to loading the next image and then running the game. Assuming that image is still available, it should all work just fine.

Kris Mueller

Jan 27, 2019, 11:21:42 AM1/27/19
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Wonderful! Thanks!

Kris

Monique Maynard

Jan 27, 2019, 1:21:08 PM1/27/19
to Bootstrap-Teachers
This error comes up often, even in the midst of time it takea for students to create their games. Correct me if my recollection is wrong, however doesn't it help to download the image to one's Google Drive, for example, and take the image from there? Thus, knowing the image is always available?
-Monique in WW, RI

Schanzer (Director)

Jan 27, 2019, 3:13:46 PM1/27/19
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Yes, one can download an image, copy it to their GDrive, and then be assured the images will be accessible....

HOWEVER - doing so means a teacher needs to budget time in their class to talk about fair use, digital rights, and copyright protection. When you copy an image to you google drive, you need to make sure you have the rights to do so.

So there's a tradeoff for teachers here, where you can choose to save time or make sure the games continue to work years later. Each teacher can make their own choice about their priorities, but it's important to make sure that it's an informed choice. :)

Monique Maynard

Jan 27, 2019, 4:23:12 PM1/27/19
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Gotcha!  I will keep that in mind next time around.  Sounds like a lesson worth teaching!