How to use curriculum during school closure

Timothy Churchill

Mar 30, 2020, 6:07:41 PM3/30/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Greetings.

My 8th grade team used Bootstrap Algebra last school in the Spring, 2019. Really enjoyed it and were planning on doing it this Spring as well. With school closures due to C-19, what is a recommendation for using the curriculum during this time. Does the team have an outline that could help guide us?

I'd appreciate any support and information.

Tim
Duluth Public Schools

Schanzer (Director)

Apr 7, 2020, 6:42:01 AM4/7/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Hi Timothy - thanks so much for writing. We're glad you had a good experience last year, and we know you're not alone in trying to move things online.

We want to use our experience to help teachers in any way we can right now. We're providing support for teachers who are struggling to get their lessons online and work with tools like Zoom, Peardeck, and more -- even if they aren't specifically asking to use Bootstrap! Since every teacher's situation is different, some one-on-one assistance might be the way to go. Send an email to con...@bootstrapworld.org to set up an appointment.

In the meantime, we're working on the most substantial curriculum rewrite in our 13 year history, which will should make the curriculum a lot more flexible in online settings. Among other things, this rewrite will provide:
  • Smaller, self contained lessons instead of monolithic units - these should make switching to online settings a lot easier.
  • Many more self-guided workbook pages and optional activities, to allow students to work more independently
  • Peardeck-infused Google slides for each lesson, which support interactivity during distance learning sessions
We've been developing these for almost two years now, and with CV19 we're stepping on the gas hard. We'll be releasing new versions of our Algebra and Data Science courses soon. We're devoting all available resources to getting these in teachers' hands as quickly as possible, rather than trying to retrofit our old stuff into a model for which it was not designed. We know that everyone is struggling to bend in-class materials to an online setting, and we don't want to release a rush-job to force a round peg into a square hole - especially if doing so would mean delaying the stuff that would make more of a difference.

I hope this is helpful. And in the meantime, we're all hoping that you, your students, your friends and family stay safe and healthy during this difficult time.

Emmanuel

Schmurrs

Apr 9, 2020, 6:07:22 PM4/9/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bootstrap Friends,

After five years on the sidelines in Chattanooga, I am applying for a coding position in the fall with a local public high school in the process of developing its first CS program.  I am a PBD believer, and taught the HtDP curriculum for 15 years in another setting. How close are you to  implementing either an Intro to CS or CS Principles course?  Or is my best bet to go with Bootstrap Algebra and Bootstrap Reactive? Or....?

Peter Schmurr

Eric Allatta

Apr 9, 2020, 10:49:18 PM4/9/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Peter, Tim and Bootstrap community,

I'm trying to figure out remote learning for 9th grade Intro to CS using Bootstrap:Data Science probably moving into Reactive Lite by the May.
I've spent a few years trying to figure out what works with Bootstrap and CS Principles. I think of Bootstrap courses as modules that I move around in the course. I care a lot about sequencing to best support learning in math and science. Maybe we could start a curriculum thread. Or Emmanuel could direct us to the right space.

My first videos are on youtube.

Eric
Academy for Software Engineering
New York, NY

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Permanent student records data is protected by federal law (FERPA), and shall not be disclosed except to the student, those with a defined educational responsibility for the student, and the parent(s) and legal guardians of the individual student. Please use due care when working with and sharing electronic records.

Schmurrs

Apr 10, 2020, 1:25:00 PM4/10/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric,

 I think a curriculum thread could be very helpful.  At the moment I am trying to pull my thoughts together on short notice for a job interview on Monday.  Our district is implementing something similar to AFSE by designating one high school to emphasize programming and network technology.  I believe there will be a degree of flexibility in curriculum choice as the program is only in its second year.

Thanks,

Peter

Eric Allatta

Apr 10, 2020, 4:51:26 PM4/10/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

I would say that Bootstrap modules make excellent components to an Introduction to CS or CS Principles.

When trying to meet all of the CSP requirements the first time it does help to work with one of the ready-to-use curricula. After you know what you need to accomplish, Bootstrap Reactive or Data Science work great for the CSP programming module. CSP requires students to research computing in terms of data, which dovetails perfectly with contracts. I really like having both Racket and Pyret in a course; switching between languages supports breaking out of pattern matching to more conceptual understanding.

Lots of factors affect how appropriate any of these choices will be.

Happy to chat more offline.

Eric

Schanzer (Director)

Apr 17, 2020, 5:58:04 PM4/17/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Hi guys - this forum is being slowly phased out, as we move everyone over to our new home on discourse. That might be the best place to have this discussion.

As for a Bootstrap-themed CSP implementation, I think Eric is THE person to speak to on the subject. Over on discourse we also have Susan, who's done a BJC course infused with Bootstrap:Data Science. We also have Joy from San Diego, who's created a full year Bootstrap course that's rooted in Data Science but covers other stuff as well. If you guys don't mind moving the thread, I'd be happy to continue it over there so everyone else can see it!

Nick Bousquet

Apr 24, 2020, 12:34:33 PM4/24/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
When will invites be sent to join the new group on Discourse?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 5:58 PM Schanzer (Director) <scha...@bootstrapworld.org> wrote:
Hi guys - this forum is being slowly phased out, as we move everyone over to our new home on discourse. That might be the best place to have this discussion.

As for a Bootstrap-themed CSP implementation, I think Eric is THE person to speak to on the subject. Over on discourse we also have Susan, who's done a BJC course infused with Bootstrap:Data Science. We also have Joy from San Diego, who's created a full year Bootstrap course that's rooted in Data Science but covers other stuff as well. If you guys don't mind moving the thread, I'd be happy to continue it over there so everyone else can see it!

Straub, Joy

Apr 24, 2020, 12:38:27 PM4/24/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I was unable to get in, too.  I sent a request last week, but have not heard.

--
Joy Straub, M Ed.
Math Teacher

Math Department Motto: Math is a journey. Navigate with GPS - Grit, Perseverance, and Self-Motivation
Our purpose at MVHS is to empower students to be self-directed, creative, and critical thinkers who persevere to positively impact the interconnected world.

Jennifer Poole

Apr 24, 2020, 1:03:07 PM4/24/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Hi Nick,

Please check your inbox for another invite.  I show that an invite was sent back in November but it may have gotten stuck in your Junk filter.  Thanks!

On Friday, April 24, 2020 at 11:34:33 AM UTC-5, Nick Bousquet wrote:
When will invites be sent to join the new group on Discourse?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 5:58 PM Schanzer (Director) <scha...@bootstrapworld.org> wrote:
Hi guys - this forum is being slowly phased out, as we move everyone over to our new home on discourse. That might be the best place to have this discussion.

As for a Bootstrap-themed CSP implementation, I think Eric is THE person to speak to on the subject. Over on discourse we also have Susan, who's done a BJC course infused with Bootstrap:Data Science. We also have Joy from San Diego, who's created a full year Bootstrap course that's rooted in Data Science but covers other stuff as well. If you guys don't mind moving the thread, I'd be happy to continue it over there so everyone else can see it!

Jennifer Poole

Apr 24, 2020, 1:04:10 PM4/24/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Hi Joy,

You still have an account under the email address you requested from, so I can't send you a new invite.  I think there's a button to reset your password if you've lost it.  Email me if it is still giving you issues.  Thank you!

Jen

On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 9:34 AM Nick Bousquet <nick.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
When will invites be sent to join the new group on Discourse?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 5:58 PM Schanzer (Director) <scha...@bootstrapworld.org> wrote:
Hi guys - this forum is being slowly phased out, as we move everyone over to our new home on discourse. That might be the best place to have this discussion.

As for a Bootstrap-themed CSP implementation, I think Eric is THE person to speak to on the subject. Over on discourse we also have Susan, who's done a BJC course infused with Bootstrap:Data Science. We also have Joy from San Diego, who's created a full year Bootstrap course that's rooted in Data Science but covers other stuff as well. If you guys don't mind moving the thread, I'd be happy to continue it over there so everyone else can see it!

Straub, Joy

Apr 24, 2020, 1:13:04 PM4/24/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Jennifer,
I think it is to the new discourse link Emmanuel sent out.  It would not let me in, and I have been in the old discourse often.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bootstrap-discuss/2f6fd284-d63d-47bc-8990-4d7468c23525%40googlegroups.com.

Schanzer (Director)

Apr 24, 2020, 1:13:53 PM4/24/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
New discourse? There's only ever been one...

Straub, Joy

Apr 24, 2020, 1:43:00 PM4/24/20
to bootstra...@googlegroups.com
Maybe this is the confusion:

Schanzer (Director)

Fri, Apr 17, 2:58 PM (7 days ago)
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 10:13 AM Schanzer (Director) <scha...@bootstrapworld.org> wrote:
New discourse? There's only ever been one...

Schanzer (Director)

Apr 24, 2020, 2:40:30 PM4/24/20
to Bootstrap-Teachers
Yes, we switched from Google Groups (here) to Discourse a few months ago. But there is no "other" Discourse. :)