Announcing Bootstrap:2!

Emma Youndtsmith

Jan 9, 2017, 2:21:20 PM1/9/17
to Bootstrap-Announce
The Bootstrap team is pleased to announce that Bootstrap:2 is officially out of beta, and the latest edition of the curriculum has been released! You can find the new materials at this link: http://www.bootstrapworld.org/materials/spring2017/courses/bs2/index.shtml

If you’re a math teacher who has taught Bootstrap:1, Bootstrap:2 lets you use your experience and expertise to teach a rigorous CS class while preserving the math you care about. If you’re a CS teacher who wants to use the Bootstrap approach to introduce AP-level concepts, or an educator who’s had success with Bootstrap, Bootstrap:2 lets you and your students build on what you know, without having to throw everything out and start over.

Bootstrap:2 will introduce students to:
  • Experience with a new programming language called Pyret
  • Data structures and data modeling
  • Complex functional relationships
  • Animation Design
  • Event-driven programming
  • Plus the same functional programming semantics you know and love from Bootstrap:1!

If you are still using the 2016 Bootstrap:2 materials, don't worry! The previous version of the Bootstrap:2 materials will always be available at this URL: http://www.bootstrapworld.org/materials/spring2016/courses/bs2/index.shtml Going forward, these materials will not be updated, but they're sticking around!

We're proud to have debuted some of this material at CSPdWeek 2016, and have made numerous changes based on teacher feedback. A huge thank you to everyone who has offered comments and suggestions along the way, including Meg Clemens, Adam Newall, Jilian Reynolds, Leah Spotts, Melanie Wiscount, Jennifer Poole, and many more!

We hope you and your students enjoy delving deeper into CS with our latest module, and we look forward to hearing from you as you use it in your classrooms! As always, the Bootstrap discussion group is the place to post your questions about any of the Bootstrap offerings. And stay tuned in 2017 for our next release, a module for lightweight data science!

Sincerely,
Emma Youndtsmith, Joe Politz, Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Emmanuel Schanzer, and the entire Bootstrap and Pyret teams