Jobs for Bootstrap/PbD teachers

Emmanuel Schanzer

Feb 26, 2014, 11:58:11 AM2/26/14
to bootstrap...@googlegroups.com
Faculty at Summer Program in Mathematical Problem Solving

http://www.artofproblemsolving.org/spmps/facultypositions.html

This summer, change the lives of talented 7th-grade students from underserved backgrounds: teach them what mathematics really is.

The Summer Program in Mathematical Problem Solving, a project of the Art of Problem Solving Foundation, is seeking instructors for a program that gives everyone a chance to excel in mathematics. Faculty design and teach their own courses to bright but underserved middle school students. Courses can be:

  • Pure math, such as number theory, combinatorics, graph theory, or logic;
  • Applied math with a focus on problem solving, such as circuit design, programming, astrophysics, or genetics; or
  • Problem solving, including contest problem solving and general problem solving.
Our students have tremendous potential and a strong ability for abstract reasoning, but because of their schools and backgrounds they often have not had the same training as more affluent peers. They are devoted, doing seven hours of math per day (and loving it).

All instructors must be available July 3 through July 30 and must be available to prepare their classes prior to the program. We are looking for college or university professors, graduate students with strong teaching backgrounds, or outstanding school teachers with strong mathematics backgrounds. Good candidates will work well on a close-knit team and will be able to bring unique curriculum perspectives to the program. Experience with other extracurricular outreach programs (such as math summer programs or Math Circles, Bootstrap, or similar) are also a plus. We will provide mentorship, textbooks, and other resources as needed.

The program is expanding to two sites this year. The original site is Bard College, a beautiful, secluded campus in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY (about two hours north of NYC). The second site is Siena College, just outside Albany. Food, housing, transportation, and a stipend is provided. Our students, all from high-poverty New York City public schools, will be discovering a new environment in these idyllic settings.

Comp Sci/Math Teacher

Windward School, a grade 7-12 college-preparatory independent day school in vibrant West Los Angeles, seeks an experienced and innovative educator to join a collaborative forward thinking faculty.  Windward faculty and administrative leaders continually seek best practices and educational initiatives to help our students and faculty pursue their passions, engage in cutting edge work, and lead meaningful lives.

Windward’s mission is to challenge each student to achieve academic excellence in a nurturing environment.  Chosen by the prestigious E.E. Ford Foundation, Windward received an education leadership grant endorsing our hands-on, active learning model in the classroom, developed in collaboration with several major universities.  Windward teachers, parents, and administrators work as a team to encourage each student to be responsible, caring, well, informed, ethical and prepared, thus promoting the fullest development of the individual.

Our Math and Science & Technology Departments are looking for a dynamic innovative teacher to join their teams. The ideal candidate will have experience at both the Middle and Upper School levels. Initial teaching responsibilities will include one Upper School computer engineering class (with expanded technological offerings in subsequent years), mathematics, computer programming electives, and/or Digital Electronics (through Project Lead the Way).

Other responsibilities include working with the Director of STEAM and collaborating  with department leaders to determine and support appropriate integration of computer science in various subject areas.   The position includes visionary opportunities to design a curriculum of technological reasoning in the school, to partner with Windward’s robotics program, to implement EPICS High projects, to develop innovative courses, and/or to mentor student researchers.