Getting started?

Ken

Jun 1, 2009, 9:02:18 PM6/1/09
to bootmii-devel
I've recently gained an interest in Wii development and I'm learning C+
+. Can someone lend some pointers on how to write a program that
loads a program of our choice (a bootloader, kinda like LoadMii)? The
program included with BootMii can already load the Homebrew Channel,
but a general purpose bootloader would be a cool idea.

Marcus Wanner

Jul 17, 2009, 9:04:00 AM7/17/09
to bootmii-devel
You might try looking through the source of the twilight hack or
loadmii.
If you are talking about loading a channel from NAND, there is
probably an ES call or something: check #wiidev on efnet.

Thomas D

Jul 19, 2009, 9:25:23 AM7/19/09
to bootmi...@googlegroups.com
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you might have difficulty with ES calls on mini :S

Marcus Wanner

Jul 19, 2009, 1:35:46 PM7/19/09
to bootmi...@googlegroups.com
good point :p

On 7/19/2009 9:25 AM, Thomas D wrote:
> Sorry to burst your bubble, but I think you might have difficulty with
> ES calls on mini :S
>
> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Marcus Wanner <mar...@cox.net
> <mailto:mar...@cox.net>> wrote:
>

> You might try looking through the source of the twilight hack or
> loadmii.
> If you are talking about loading a channel from NAND, there is
> probably an ES call or something: check #wiidev on efnet.
>
> On Jun 1, 9:02 pm, Ken <k...@cluenet.org

yellowstar

Jul 20, 2009, 12:17:39 AM7/20/09
to bootmii-devel
This is a difficult task requiring RE. I don't think Bootmii even
loads IOS directly, which must be done to load libogc homebrew.
There's an MINI boot2 function to patch and load boot2 to run any NAND
title. Bootmii probably uses that function to boot sysmenu and HBC. I
tried to write an app to load IOS and a libogc app,(without doing any
RE) but the SRAM(0xffff0000) region seems to be protected. IOS seems
to load, but after a few seconds it executes a syscall and MINI
doesn't handle syscalls, so the panic disc drive LED begins to flash.
It might be possible to replace armboot.bin with an IOS kernel, and
write an simple ppcboot.elf to load an /boot.dol. However, this would
temporarily disable Bootmii...