Versioning approach changes

Andrus Adamchik

Nov 21, 2023, 6:47:50 PM11/21/23
to Bootique User Group
A heads up on a planned change to the versioning format to streamline everything:

1. We'll use "-" instead of "." to attach version "classifier". E.g. 3.0-M3, not 3.0.M3
2. We'll skip the "B" (beta) release. After some number of milestones we'll go to "RC" (release candidate). There was no clear definition of beta vs release candidate. So reducing a number of release "kinds" should reduce confusion
3. "-SNAPSHOT" version will stay the same across milestones (so from now on, we'll have "3.0-SNAPSHOT", no matter how many Ms or RCs we are going to have).

Note that we are not fully following the "semantic versioning" constraints to keep a bit of freedom with third-party upgrades. But the above moves us closer to semver, and of course we always try our best to follow its spirit.

Andrus