[Boost-users] Boost library name formats

Damien via Boost-users

Mar 14, 2019, 10:58:03 PM3/14/19
to boost...@lists.boost.org, Damien
Hello,

For several years now we've built Boost libraries on Windows with a
minimal set of tags in the library and dll names.  Our dlls and libs
have looked like this:

boost_atomic-mt-gd.dll
boost_atomic-mt-gd.lib

etc.

We just upgraded from 1.65.1 to 1.69 and the same bjam command (with a
new bootstrapped bjam) is now giving us an extra x64 tag:

boost_atomic-mt-gd-x64.dll
boost_atomic-mt-gd-x64.lib

This is on VS2017 15.9.9.

The bjam command we've used for years is:

bjam.exe --toolset=msvc address-model=64 --stagedir=./stage64debug
--build-dir=./build64debug --layout=tagged --without-mpi variant=debug
link=shared threading=multi runtime-link=shared install
--prefix=./win64debug/indep --exec-prefix=./win64debug/bin
--libdir=./win64debug/lib --includedir=./win64debug/include

Has a default setting in bjam been changed?  What can we add to the bjam
command to get back to the old minimal names?

Thanks in advance.

Damien

Steven Watanabe via Boost-users

Mar 15, 2019, 11:05:52 AM3/15/19
to Damien via Boost-users, Steven Watanabe
AMDG

On 3/14/19 8:57 PM, Damien via Boost-users wrote:

> For several years now we've built Boost libraries on Windows with a
> minimal set of tags in the library and dll names.  Our dlls and libs
> have looked like this:
>
> boost_atomic-mt-gd.dll
> boost_atomic-mt-gd.lib
>
> etc.
>
> We just upgraded from 1.65.1 to 1.69 and the same bjam command (with a
> new bootstrapped bjam) is now giving us an extra x64 tag:
>
> boost_atomic-mt-gd-x64.dll
> boost_atomic-mt-gd-x64.lib
>

> <snip>

> Has a default setting in bjam been changed?  What can we add to the bjam
> command to get back to the old minimal names?

--layout=tagged-1.68

Appending a Boost version will lock the format to
whatever was used at that version. I do not
recommend using this for the long term. It is
undocumented and is intended for transitional use.
Sufficiently old formats may be removed without notice.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Damien via Boost-users

Mar 15, 2019, 2:00:46 PM3/15/19
to Steven Watanabe via Boost-users, Damien
On 3/15/2019 9:05 AM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-users wrote:
> AMDG
>
> On 3/14/19 8:57 PM, Damien via Boost-users wrote:
>> For several years now we've built Boost libraries on Windows with a
>> minimal set of tags in the library and dll names.  Our dlls and libs
>> have looked like this:
>>
>> boost_atomic-mt-gd.dll
>> boost_atomic-mt-gd.lib
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> We just upgraded from 1.65.1 to 1.69 and the same bjam command (with a
>> new bootstrapped bjam) is now giving us an extra x64 tag:
>>
>> boost_atomic-mt-gd-x64.dll
>> boost_atomic-mt-gd-x64.lib
>>
>> <snip>
>> Has a default setting in bjam been changed?  What can we add to the bjam
>> command to get back to the old minimal names?
>>
> --layout=tagged-1.68
>
> Appending a Boost version will lock the format to
> whatever was used at that version. I do not
> recommend using this for the long term. It is
> undocumented and is intended for transitional use.
> Sufficiently old formats may be removed without notice.

Thanks Steven, that still gave us the same lib name format with -x64 at
the end.  If there's no way to remove the -x64, we'll update our build
system to take that tag into account.

Damien