[boost] Welcome to our NEW Boost Discourse server! 🥳🎉

Inbal Levi via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 3:23:57 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, boost-a...@lists.boost.org, David Sankel, Boost Foundation Officers & Directors, Michael Caisse, Kristen Shaker, Peter Dimov, Zach Lane, Hartmut Kaiser, Bob Steagall, Glen Fernandes, Jeff Garland, Inbal Levi, Inbal Levi
Hello everyone!
Boost board has been working on a few improvements lately, one of which is
to create a new *Boost Discourse server: https://discourse.boost.org/
<https://discourse.boost.org/>*

The server is meant to allow more interactive and convenient development in
the boost community, and we'll be happy to have you all there!

*To join the server:*

1. Go to the URL: https://discourse.boost.org/
2. Login to the discourse server
3. The server contains three categories:
1. Beginners - start here if you're new to Boost or to discourse
2. Boost Development - go here to create a new topic of discussion
(roughly, we expect every new library will have its own discussion thread)
3. Community - go here if you'd like to start a thread about
community topics, or if you'd like to talk about anything that
doesn't fit
the first two topics :)

*To start a technical discussion:*

1. log-in
2. Go to the "*Boost Development*" category
3. Click on "+ New Topic" (in the right upper corner), and add a new
discussion topic for your library!

[image: image.png]

Please review our Code of Conduct
<https://cppnow.org/about/code_of_conduct/> before participation. We expect
a respectful and positive discussion!

If there are any technical issues, feel free to approach me at:
sinbal...@gmail.com or any other of the server admins:
je...@crystalclearsoftware.com, cam...@gmail.com,
whatwasth...@gmail.com

Looking forward to seeing you all in our new discourse server! 🤗

Thanks,
Inbal Levi,
in the name of the Boost Foundation board members

*Lead Software Engineer @ Millenium*
Isocpp, Boost &"Hamakor" Non-Profits Board Member
ISO C++ LEWG Chair & Israeli NB Chair
C++Now Program Chair & CoreC++ Conference Organizer

Marshall Clow via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 3:57:05 PM10/11/23
to boost, Marshall Clow
On Oct 11, 2023, at 12:19 PM, Inbal Levi via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
> Boost board has been working on a few improvements lately, one of which is
> to create a new *Boost Discourse server: https://discourse.boost.org/
> <https://discourse.boost.org/>*
>
> The server is meant to allow more interactive and convenient development in
> the boost community, and we'll be happy to have you all there!

Wow.

I remember a discussion about this back in April/May, and
all the people who said (paraphrased) “Do not want”.

— Marshall

Example:

> On Apr 26, 2023, at 7:34 AM, Andrea Bocci via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:
>
> Very simply, if you replace the mailing list(s) with a forum (or fora), I
> will stop following any Boost discussion.
>
> Best of luck,
> .Andrea

Emil Dotchevski via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 4:08:15 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, Emil Dotchevski
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 12:57 PM Marshall Clow via Boost <
bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2023, at 12:19 PM, Inbal Levi via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org>
wrote:

> > Hello everyone!
> > Boost board has been working on a few improvements lately, one of which
is
> > to create a new *Boost Discourse server: https://discourse.boost.org/
> > <https://discourse.boost.org/>*
> >
> > The server is meant to allow more interactive and convenient
development in
> > the boost community, and we'll be happy to have you all there!
>
> Wow.
>
> I remember a discussion about this back in April/May, and
> all the people who said (paraphrased) “Do not want”.

IMO people who can't figure out mailing lists are unlikely to add much
value to any discussion, so maybe it's good if they go to the new discourse
server. :)

On a serious note, I think the combination of Slack + mailing list works
great. Adding a third place one can go to means more people won't know
where to go.

Niall Douglas via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 4:09:08 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, Niall Douglas
On 11/10/2023 20:56, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2023, at 12:19 PM, Inbal Levi via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello everyone!
>> Boost board has been working on a few improvements lately, one of which is
>> to create a new *Boost Discourse server: https://discourse.boost.org/
>> <https://discourse.boost.org/>*
>>
>> The server is meant to allow more interactive and convenient development in
>> the boost community, and we'll be happy to have you all there!
>
> Wow.
>
> I remember a discussion about this back in April/May, and
> all the people who said (paraphrased) “Do not want”.

Was not the counterproposal that posts to here will cross post to
Discourse, and vice versa?

I cannot stand Discourse, which is also Javascript only and I run my
browser with Javascript off, so generally if I land on a Discourse
website from Google, I simply close the tab. I'd take old fashioned
phpBB any day before Discourse.

I'd also take Reddit any day before Discourse. Or any of the other
discussion forums we discussed last time we did this.

I guess that ship has sailed. Let's see if anybody actually uses it.

Niall

Inbal Levi via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 5:13:51 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, Niall Douglas, mars...@idio.com, Inbal Levi, Boost Foundation Officers & Directors, Glen Fernandes, Peter Dimov, Bob Steagall, Kristen Shaker, Hartmut Kaiser, Jeff Garland, Michael Caisse
> I remember a discussion about this back in April/May, and all the people
who said (paraphrased) “Do not want”.
I was not aware of this (possibly because I only joined the foundation
around that time), but at least during the discussions I was part of, the
discourse solution seemed to be optimal in terms of
cost/usability/integrability.
It's up to you, of course, I personally find it convenient. We would
appreciate it if people would give it a chance :)

> Was not the counterproposal that posts to here will cross post to Discourse,
and vice versa?

Yes, this is still a target, we're working on this in parallel.

Thanks all, for your feedback! :)

Thanks,
Inbal Levi

*Lead Software Engineer @ Millenium*
Isocpp, Boost &"Hamakor" Non-Profits Board Member
ISO C++ LEWG Chair & Israeli NB Chair
C++Now Program Chair & CoreC++ Conference Organizer

David Sankel via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 5:56:15 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, David Sankel
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:09 PM Niall Douglas via Boost <
bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> Let's see if anybody actually uses it.

That's the idea. There are no plans to replace or remove the mailing list.
I hope you try discourse though. Discourse posts can be made and responded
to using an email client if the JS interface isn't your cup of tea.

Robert Ramey via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 6:02:05 PM10/11/23
to Niall Douglas via Boost, Robert Ramey
On 10/11/23 1:08 PM, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
> On 11/10/2023 20:56, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> On Oct 11, 2023, at 12:19 PM, Inbal Levi via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> I guess that ship has sailed. Let's see if anybody actually uses it.

Right. At Boost we have a long tradition of just letting people propose
and try stuff without necessarily getting a consensus first. It's our
way of avoiding the "design/management by committee" paralysis syndrome.
I think it works well for us. But it IS very painful when one's idea is
not successful. I am constantly reminded this first hand.

Robert Ramey

David Sankel via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 6:22:10 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, David Sankel
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:08 PM Emil Dotchevski via Boost <
bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> IMO people who can't figure out mailing lists are unlikely to add much
> value to any discussion, so maybe it's good if they go to the new discourse
> server. :)

I frequently find people with different preferences to me add the most
value in discussions. YMMV ;-D

> On a serious note, I think the combination of Slack + mailing list works
> great. Adding a third place one can go to means more people won't know
> where to go.

It works great for you, but you're here.

We frequently hear about barriers to entry from people outside our
community that would make for excellent Boost contributors. Preferred modes
of communication evolve over time; if we don't adapt, we risk obsolescence.

I'm not saying that discourse is the answer or will even necessarily work,
but I think it's worth a try.

René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 6:38:59 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM David Sankel <cam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 6:20 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell <grafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> How does one start a new topic in a category through email on this?
>> I.e. without using the web UI. Yes, I'm trying to use this thing.
>

> It looks like this is something I needed to enable. You can try sending an email to boost+dev...@discoursemail.com to post to the boost development category.

Why is that not a boost.org email address?
Also, where do I find those email addresses?

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything -- No Supone Nada

David Sankel via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 6:57:08 PM10/11/23
to bo...@lists.boost.org, David Sankel
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost <
bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 5:33 PM David Sankel <cam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 6:20 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell <
> grafi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> How does one start a new topic in a category through email on this?
> >> I.e. without using the web UI. Yes, I'm trying to use this thing.
> >

> > It looks like this is something I needed to enable. You can try sending
> an email to boost+dev...@discoursemail.com to post to the boost
> development category.
>
> Why is that not a boost.org email address?

It looks like we can make that a boost.org address, but it'll take some
more setup.

Also, where do I find those email addresses?

That's the only one that I set up so far. Where do you think would be a
good place to put it? Maybe on the sticky post?

René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 7:57:32 PM10/11/23
to David Sankel, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell, bo...@lists.boost.org
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 5:56 PM David Sankel <cam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

>> > It looks like this is something I needed to enable. You can try sending an email to boost+dev...@discoursemail.com to post to the boost development category.
>>
>> Why is that not a boost.org email address?
>

> It looks like we can make that a boost.org address, but it'll take some more setup.
>
>> Also, where do I find those email addresses?
>

> That's the only one that I set up so far. Where do you think would be a good place to put it? Maybe on the sticky post?

According to someone who knows some discourse admin the "mailing list
mode" is not enabled. Which would explain why I don't see options that
would let me get emails for everything. And, I guess, perhaps, why I
haven't gotten any emails even though I'vé turned on all possible
email options.

--
-- René Ferdinand Rivera Morell
-- Don't Assume Anything -- No Supone Nada

Marshall Clow via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 7:58:40 PM10/11/23
to boost, Marshall Clow
On Oct 11, 2023, at 2:55 PM, David Sankel via Boost <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 4:09 PM Niall Douglas via Boost <
> bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:
>
>> Let's see if anybody actually uses it.
>>

> That's the idea. There are no plans to replace or remove the mailing list.
> I hope you try discourse though. Discourse posts can be made and responded
> to using an email client if the JS interface isn't your cup of tea.

I have tried Discourse several times (several conferences use it, as well as LLVM).
You’ll notice that I am not on the LLVM Discourse server.

Discourse (and its ilk) have many disadvantages.

1) I can’t archive discussions (or at least I can’t do that w/o effort on my part).
I have boost discussions going back to 2000 that I can search.

2) It tries WAY WAY too hard to interrupt me. I will deal
with things when it’s convenient for ME, not when it thinks I should.

3) The cartoonish interface rubs me the wrong way.

I barely tolerate Slack, and Discourse is much more objectionable.

Clearly I was not forceful enough back in April.
I should have stated my opinion more forcefully: “Discourse: Do not want”

— Marshall

René Ferdinand Rivera Morell via Boost

Oct 11, 2023, 8:58:52 PM10/11/23
to David Sankel, René Ferdinand Rivera Morell, bo...@lists.boost.org
On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 6:57 PM René Ferdinand Rivera Morell

<grafi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 5:56 PM David Sankel <cam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why is that not a boost.org email address?
> >

> > It looks like we can make that a boost.org address, but it'll take some more setup.
> >
> >> Also, where do I find those email addresses?
> >

> > That's the only one that I set up so far. Where do you think would be a good place to put it? Maybe on the sticky post?
>
> According to someone who knows some discourse admin the "mailing list
> mode" is not enabled. Which would explain why I don't see options that
> would let me get emails for everything. And, I guess, perhaps, why I
> haven't gotten any emails even though I'vé turned on all possible
> email options.

PS. I tried finding documentation to point you at what needed to be
configured. But the Discourse documentation is just a collection of
unstructured posts on a meta discourse server itself. And I'm not
going to go spelunking into such "documentation".