[boost] Library category error handling

1 view

Emil Dotchevski via Boost

Nov 6, 2021, 2:35:06 PM11/6/21
to Boost, Emil Dotchevski
Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?

Vinnie Falco via Boost

Nov 6, 2021, 2:43:38 PM11/6/21
to boost@lists.boost.org List, Vinnie Falco
On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:35 AM Emil Dotchevski via Boost
<bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:
> Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
> https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?

no

Peter Dimov via Boost

Nov 6, 2021, 2:53:17 PM11/6/21
to bo...@lists.boost.org, Peter Dimov
Vinnie Falco wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:35 AM Emil Dotchevski via Boost
> <bo...@lists.boost.org> wrote:
> > Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
> > https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?
>
> no

Yes

Emil Dotchevski via Boost

Nov 6, 2021, 3:01:31 PM11/6/21
to Boost, Emil Dotchevski
On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:34 AM Emil Dotchevski <emildot...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?

To clarify, Boost currently offers the following:

- Boost Exception
- Outcome
- LEAF
- boost::system::result

Glen Fernandes via Boost

Nov 6, 2021, 3:05:17 PM11/6/21
to bo...@lists.boost.org, Glen Fernandes
On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Emil Dotchevski wrote:

> Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
> https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?

Yes, that sounds fine. In addition to the libraries.json change,
please submit a PR to website too.

Glen

Niall Douglas via Boost

Nov 7, 2021, 9:56:55 AM11/7/21
to bo...@lists.boost.org, Niall Douglas
On 06/11/2021 19:00, Emil Dotchevski via Boost wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:34 AM Emil Dotchevski <emildot...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
> https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?
>

> To clarify, Boost currently offers the following:
>
> - Boost Exception
> - Outcome
> - LEAF
> - boost::system::result

I actually would have said it's all of Boost.System, not Boost.System's
result. Code such as `if(ec) ...` for example.

Also instead of error handling can we call the category "failure
handling" please? The difference is that errors are often expected and
handled locally, whereas failures implies some process of unwinding.

Niall

Peter Dimov via Boost

Nov 7, 2021, 10:25:12 AM11/7/21
Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 06/11/2021 19:00, Emil Dotchevski via Boost wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 11:34 AM Emil Dotchevski
> > <emildot...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Should we add a formal category for error handling libraries in
> > https://www.boost.org/development/library_metadata.html?
> >

> > To clarify, Boost currently offers the following:
> >
> > - Boost Exception
> > - Outcome
> > - LEAF
> > - boost::system::result
>
> I actually would have said it's all of Boost.System, not Boost.System's result.
> Code such as `if(ec) ...` for example.
>
> Also instead of error handling can we call the category "failure handling"
> please? The difference is that errors are often expected and handled locally,
> whereas failures implies some process of unwinding.

"Error handling" is a much more well known phrase. I've never heard anyone
talk of "failure handling", neither am I sure that its definition is necessarily
what you suggest.