word index implemented

Johannes Wilm

Jun 24, 2013, 9:47:14 PM6/24/13
to booktype-dev, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Hey,

I have just implemented the last feature on the roadmap for BookJS 1.0: word index. An example can be found here: http://sourcefabric.github.com/BookJS/test9.html

features are:
-- allows sub categories
-- makes sure the same page isn't listed twice
-- is updated as document grows
 Instructions on how to use it can be found in the BookJS source along with all other instructions.
--
Johannes Wilm
BookJS Developer

skype: johanneswilm

Daniel James

Jun 25, 2013, 4:43:55 AM6/25/13
to bookty...@googlegroups.com, Johannes Wilm, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Hi Johannes,
> I have just implemented the last feature on the roadmap for BookJS 1.0:
> word index. An example can be found
> here: http://sourcefabric.github.com/BookJS/test9.html

The word index is empty for me (Firefox 21 on Ubuntu). Do I have to
perform some action to index a word?

Also I'm seeing some character set errors:

Wallace, 1869. pp. vii–ix.

The preface summarizes Wallace’s travels

and possibly:

with a residency at Pará.

I really like the moveable margin notes. My personal preference would be
for a little more whitespace between the margin notes and the main
column. Possibly this approach requires a wider paper format, to
preserve a good sized margin on the binding side.

Cheers!

Daniel

Johannes Wilm

Jun 25, 2013, 5:34:35 AM6/25/13
to Daniel James, bookty...@googlegroups.com, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 4:43 AM, Daniel James <daniel...@sourcefabric.org> wrote:
Hi Johannes,
> I have just implemented the last feature on the roadmap for BookJS 1.0:
> word index. An example can be found
> here: http://sourcefabric.github.com/BookJS/test9.html

The word index is empty for me (Firefox 21 on Ubuntu). Do I have to
perform some action to index a word?

Most BookJS features only work on Chrome/Chromium. There is a fallback for some critical fatures (margin notes/footnotes) but not for others (table of contents, word index, etc.).

Also I'm seeing some character set errors:

Wallace, 1869. pp. vii–ix.

The preface summarizes Wallace’s travels

the character set has to be utf-8. I have now set that manually.

and possibly:

with a residency at Pará.

I really like the moveable margin notes.

They are cool, I agree, but unfortunately it's none of my doing. Firefox does that automatically.

My personal preference would be
for a little more whitespace between the margin notes and the main
column. Possibly this approach requires a wider paper format, to
preserve a good sized margin on the binding side.

I have now set it to take the same width as regular margin notes and also to use the same spacing to the contents. Both values are configurable through the settings.

Cheers!

Daniel

Daniel James

Jun 25, 2013, 5:49:55 AM6/25/13
to Johannes Wilm, bookty...@googlegroups.com, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Hi Johannes,
> Most BookJS features only work on Chrome/Chromium.

I have tried Chrome 28.0.1500.52 but still see no word index. Do I have
to switch on an experimental feature, perhaps?

> the character set has to be utf-8. I have now set that manually.

Fixes those errors for me, thanks.

> I have now set it to take the same width as regular margin notes and
> also to use the same spacing to the contents. Both values are
> configurable through the settings.

Looks much better! Otherwise my eye rolls from the main column to the
footnote, and makes reading very disjointed.

Cheers!

Daniel

Johannes Wilm

Jun 25, 2013, 5:51:49 AM6/25/13
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 5:49 AM, Daniel James <daniel...@sourcefabric.org> wrote:
Hi Johannes,
> Most BookJS features only work on Chrome/Chromium.

I have tried Chrome 28.0.1500.52 but still see no word index. Do I have
to switch on an experimental feature, perhaps?

yes. Soryr, I didn't post the entire instructions on how to turn CSS Regions on, as they have been the same since BookJS started. Go into Chrome://flags and turn "Experimental webkit features" on.

> the character set has to be utf-8. I have now set that manually.

Fixes those errors for me, thanks.

> I have now set it to take the same width as regular margin notes and
> also to use the same spacing to the contents. Both values are
> configurable through the settings.

Looks much better! Otherwise my eye rolls from the main column to the
footnote, and makes reading very disjointed.

great!

Cheers!

Daniel

Daniel James

Jun 25, 2013, 6:06:47 AM6/25/13
to Johannes Wilm, bookty...@googlegroups.com, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Hi Johannes,

> Go into Chrome://flags and turn "Experimental webkit features" on.

Ah, got it :-) Word index works now.

I think I prefer the single-column layout of Firefox on a page of this
size. Also the flow of the article is easier to read with sidenotes than
footnotes, as we're reading from top to bottom instead of flipping pages.

Cheers!

Daniel

Johannes Wilm

Jun 25, 2013, 6:20:35 AM6/25/13
to Daniel James, bookty...@googlegroups.com, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 6:06 AM, Daniel James <daniel...@sourcefabric.org> wrote:
Hi Johannes,

> Go into Chrome://flags and turn "Experimental webkit features" on.

Ah, got it :-) Word index works now.

I think I prefer the single-column layout of Firefox on a page of this
size.

There are only two columns to show off the column feature. It's configurable to have 1 or 2 or more columns.

Also the flow of the article is easier to read with sidenotes than
footnotes, as we're reading from top to bottom instead of flipping pages.

Margin notes are implemented already, they are just not used in that example. :)

Cheers!

Daniel

Johannes Wilm

Jun 25, 2013, 6:41:43 AM6/25/13
to Daniel James, bookty...@googlegroups.com, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
btw, you can see margin notes with CSS Regions here:

Daniel James

Jun 25, 2013, 7:43:30 AM6/25/13
to Johannes Wilm, bookty...@googlegroups.com, Booktype, Internal Aloha Editor Dev
Hi Johannes,

> Also the flow of the article is easier to read with sidenotes than
> footnotes, as we're reading from top to bottom instead of flipping
> pages.
>
> Margin notes are implemented already, they are just not used in that
> example. :)

In Firefox I see all the footnotes in the right-side margin, which
actually looks better to me.

Cheers!

Daniel

Johannes Wilm

Jun 25, 2013, 7:48:44 AM6/25/13
to Daniel James, Internal Aloha Editor Dev, booktype-dev, Booktype
I think it would be a good idea to have the ability to switch between the paes layout and just runnign text like in Firefox on the fly. That could be a post-1.0 feature.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Johannes Wilm <johann...@sourcefabric.org> wrote:

Yes, but not in a printed book, right? That would mean that the side margins for left hand pages would disappear into the gutter.

Cheers!

Daniel

--
Johannes Wilm