New Book List -- Books for Sale! (An Experiment to See Who's Reading!)

1 view

Ed Augusts

Sep 29, 2008, 11:42:11 AM9/29/08
to BOOK & MOVIE ADVENTURES with Ed Augusts, slang...@gmail.com, e...@edaugusts.com
Hi, these books just "came in". If you've seen my book about Yard
Sales, (I "wrote the book" about buying at yard sales!), you'll
surmise correctly that I obtained these over a few days' period over
the weekend and just finished researching and listing the titles and
authors. There may be a few typos since I typed it up "at speed".

I am uncertain about the marketing of used books and everyone is in
just about the same dilemma. ABE and Amazon and Alibris and other
methods, such as E-Bay, charge stiff fees and/or sales percentages
that make it unprofitable to sell that way. At ABE I was paying $25
to $35 a month, depending on the size of my database of books, PLUS
their credit card transaction fees, PLUS their percentage of each
sale. Ugh! I do have an account at E-Bay, a Store, under the name: "
mysticbooks", please go have a look, but I find it incredibly
expensive to sell on E-Bay, all the little charged add up until, by
the end of the month, I haven't made anything. The situation sellers
are in, just cries out for some alternative marketing method! .

But listing books in THIS space isn't a really great idea for me
either, since I can't modify a list once I've posted it on Google
Groups, so I can't update the list to show what books have been sold,
so posting a list of books for sale is a questionable practice. If
there is some way to modify a posted message once the message has been
posted, I don't know what it is! I may POST on a couple of my Yahoo
Groups, but there I have exactly the same problem -- revisions are
difficult.

How do I determine values for used books? I visit ABE, with its
database of what 13,500 other sellers are charging for their 100
million books, and Search using author, title, publisher, and exact
year of publishing, first edition and dustjacket, and obtain the range
of copies of that particular title being offered by dealers around the
world. I then select a sensible moderate price, WELL UNDER the
optimistically high prices of some dealers who must be in love with
their books and who hate to part with them. Sometimes, which is
actually quite often, because I've been very lucky with books, I'll
find a unique title published by an obscure author!

I will probably post ONLY to my website at: www.edaugusts.com from
now on, and will duplicate this list there, and there I will be able
to note which books have sold. These books are all in "AS NEW"
condition unless noted, and have no defects -- no damage, howsoever
slight -- unless noted. If any are ex-lib books, (I don't think there
are any, in this batch), I note them as such. Dustjackets are noted,
and almost on this list has a pristine dustjacket as well. Order via
PayPal after sending me an e-mail. Add just $3.00 for Media Mail
postage to the prices shown below, Canadian and Foreign orders,
contact me for shipping prices. I cannot accept Bank Cheques from the
U.K., etc., none of the banks here will take them for deposit, so I
strongly advise PayPal. I usually buy a Delivery Confirmation on
domestic orders so that the shipment can be tracked. Questions,
purchases, offers or comments? Please write me at:
e...@edaugusts.com Thank You!

Anger, Kenneth. Hollywood Babylon II. Dutton, New York, 1984.
Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good dustjacket. Illustrated
throughout. Not for the squeamish or the innocent. $10.00.

Arnaud, Claude. Chamfort : A Biography. Translat3ed by Deke
Dusinberre with a Foreword by Joseph Epstein. University of Chicago
Press, Chicago. 1992. First Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in
very good to fine dustjacket. $8.00.

Arnholz, Jim. Semi-Native. University of New Mexico, Albuquerque.
1986. Softcover. First Edition. Very good condition throughout. $6.00.

Ashe, Geoffrey. Dawn Behind the Dawn : A Search for the Earthly
Paradise. Henry Holt, New York. First 'Owl Book' (paperback) Edition.
1993. Curious compendium of various ancient lore that seems to the
author to point toward a place in central Asia which might qualify as
the "cultural seedbed" of Western civilization. $8.00.

Auel, Jean M., The Shelters of Stone. In the "Earth's Children"
Series. Crown, New York, 2002. Hardcover. 753 pgs. Very good to
fine in very good to fine dustjacket. My God! The Stone Age will
return by the time she finishes this series... $4.00.

Benford, Gregory. Furious Gulf. Bantam, New York. 1994. First
Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine
dustjacket. Sci-Fi regarding the vortex of mystery at the heart of the
galaxy. By the Nebula award-winning author of 'Tides of Light'.
$17.50.

Bengis, Ingrid. Metro Stop Dostoevsky : Travels in Russian Time.
North Point Press, New York, 2003. First Edition. Very good to fine
in very good to fine dustjacket. $6.00.

Bonder, Saniel. The Divine Emergence of the World-Teacher. The
Realization, The Revelation, and the Revealing Ordeal of Dal Kalki. A
Biographical Celebration of Heart-Master Da Love-Ananda. Dawn Horse
Press, Clearlake. July 1990 reprinting of the April 1990 first
edition. Softcover. Very good throughout. What forces make a person
want to be a guru? Who is this guru, anyway? Here you can even see
his baby photos. 514 pgs. Illustrated with photos throughout.
$7.50.

Bradley, Marion Zimmer. The Mists of Avalon. Del Rey / Ballantine,
New York. 2000 reprint edition. Extremely popular book. $3.00.

Bradley, Omar N., General and Clay Blair. A General's Life : An
Autobiography by General of the Army Omar N. Bradley. Simon &
Schuster, New York, 1983. Hardcover. Very good to fine condition
throughout, in good to very good dustjacket, lightly creased at the
very edges. 752 pgs. $6.00.

Buffett, Mary and Clark, David. Buffettology: The Previously
Unexplained Techniques That Have Made Warren Buffett the World's Most
Famous Investor. Rawson Associates, New York, 1997. First Edition.
Hardcover , very good in very good to fine dustjacket. $10.00.

Buskirk, Marc Van. Immortalize Your Life : A Fun and Simple Way to
Write Your Autobiography. IMC, La Jolla. 1997. Third Printing.
Signed and inscribed by Author on f.e.p. $5.00.

Caldecott, Moyra. Guardians of the Tall Stones. Celestial Arts,
Berkeley, 1986. First Printing. Softcover. 521 pgs. Good to very good
throughout; tips of several pages are slightly creased and bottom
front corner is sl creased. $6.00.

Carroll, Linda. Her Mother's Daughter : A Memoir of the Mother I
Never Knew and of My Daughter, Courtney Love. Doubleday, New York.,
2005. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket.
$17.50.

Chapman, Matthew. Trials of the Monkey : An Accidental Memoir.
Picador USA, New York. 2001. Edition. Hardcover in very good to fine
condition throughout, in very good to fine dustjacket. Written by
Charles Darwin's great-great-grandson. $6.00.

Clare, Horatio. Running for the Hills : Growing Up on My other's
Sheep Farm in Wales. Scribner, New York. 2006. Hardcover. Very good
in very good dust jacket. $8.50.

Clarke, Arthur C. The Ghost From the Grand Banks. Bantam, New York,
1990. Hardcover. Very good to fine condition in a very good to fine
dustjacket. Appears to be a Book Club edition as there is no price on
the dustjacket. A good read, as the race to raise the Titanic from
the Atlantic depths coincides with a wicked sunspot cycle and huge
earthquakes. $6.00.

Clores, Suzanne. Memoirs of a Spiritual Outsider. Conari Press,
Berkeley. 2000. Trade Softcover. Very good to fine condition
throughout. Author transitions from standard fare to Witchcraft,
Shamanic Healing, Voudou, Sufism and Buddhism. I can only fine one
copy of this book on ABE, and that one's in Germany, at $32.20. So
I'll ask a bit less, here in the States: $20.00.

Cochrun, Thomas D., The Sanibel Arcanum. Guild Press of Indiana,
Indianapolis. 1994. No edition stated; presumed first edition. Trade
softcover. Unlikely thriller of a guy vacationing on Florida's
Sanibel Island turning-up an engraved plate relating to medieval
church secrets and mysteries of the Knights Templar / "Holy Blood,
Holy Grail" variety. $10.00.

Corcos, Georgette, (Ed.), Gafni, Schlomo S., (Concept & Design) The
Glory of the Old Testament. Villard, New York, 1984. Hardcover,
second printing of the first edition. Very good to fine condition, in
very good dust jacket. Gift inscription at top of front end paper.
$7.00.

Derman, Emanuel. My Life as a Quant : Reflections on Physics and
Finance. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken. 2004. Hardcover. Second
Printing. Hardcover. Very good to fine throughout, in a very good to
fine dustjacket. A scientist on Wall Street -- Goldman Sachs, in
fact! $15.00.

Disney, Walt. Walt Disney : Disneyland. Arnoldo Mondadori Editore.
Officine Grafiche, Verona, Italy. 1964. Hardcover, nearly square in
shape, illustrated in color throughout. This appears to be an
unusual edition, entirely in English. " Copyright Walt Disney
Productions, Burbank, California." Other later editions show an
author named Sklar, but there is no author given for this book except
Walt Disney, and the Foreword is by Walt Disney, as well. Color
photo cover. $35.00.

Douglas, Marjory Stoneman. Voice of the River. An Autobiography with
John Rothchild. Pineapple Press, Sarasota. First paperback edition.
1990. $7.00.

Farrand, Phil. The Nitpicker's Guide for Classic Trekkers. Dell,
1994 No edition stated. Hardcover in very good to fine condition in
very good to fine dustjacket. Illustrated throughout. $7.50.

Farrand, Phil. The Nitpicker's Guide for X-Philes. Dell Trade
Paperback. New York, 1997. First Edition. Trade softcover. Very
good condition throughout. Very tips of bottom corners show slight
wear. Illustrated throughout. $7.50.

Ferrigno, Robert. Scavnger Hunt. Pantheon. New York. 2003. First
Edition. Advance Reader's Edition. SIGNED and INSCRIBED by AUTHOR on
title page. Slight creases on a few pages and very tips of several
corners are slightly creased. $17.50.

Gaines, Steven. Philistines at the Hedgerow : Passion and Property
in the Hamptons. Little, Brown. Boston. 1998. Second Printing.
Hardcover, very good, in very good to fine dustjacket. $4.00.

Ginsberg, Debra. Waiting : The True Confessions of a Waitress. Harper
Collins, New York, 2000. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good
dustjacket. $10.00

Gold, Elizabeth. Brief Intervals of Horrible Sanity : One Season in a
Progressive School. Penguin, New York. 2004. Softcover. Good to
very good througout. Inconspicuous remainder mark on bottom, near
spine. $8.00.

Goss, Pete. Close To The Wind : An Extraordinary Story of Triumph
Over Adversity. Carroll & Graf, New York, 1999. First Edition.
Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket. $9.00.

Grafton, Sue. "K" is for Killer. Henry Holt, New York. 1994.
Hardcover. Very good in very good dustjacket. First edition. $5.00.

Gribbin, John and White, Michael. Stephen Hawking : A Life in
Science. Dutton, New York. 1992. First Edition. Very good to fine in
very good to fine dustjacket. Very corners slightly worn. $9.00.

Haines, John. The Stars, the Snow, the Fire : Twenty-Five Years in
the Northern Wilderness. Graywolf, Saint Paul, 1989. Second
Printing. $15.00.

Harris, Eddy L., Still Life in Harlem. Henry Holt, New York. First
Edition, 1996. Very good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket.
$6.00.

Hauck, Rex, (editor). Angels : The Mysterious Messengers. Ballantine,
New York, 1994. First Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very
good to fine dustjacket. $5.00.

Harris, Robert. Pompeii. Random House, New York, 2003. Hardcover.
Very good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket. Great mystery tale
which involves a great cast of characters, and terrific depiction of
the eruption of Vesuvius. $7.50.

Hayt, Elizabeth. I'm No Saint : A Nasty Little Memoir of Love and
Leaving. Warner, New York, 2005. Advance Proofs. Softcover. Very good
to fine condition throughout. There are only 2 other copies in
softcover 'out there', it seems the first edition came out in hardback
but never made it to a softcover edition, other than these scarce
advance proofs. Oddity, one dealer is offering it for $75.00, I
guess because of this rarity. But I'll just ask a modest....
$25.00.

Hockaday, Mary. Kafka, Love and Courage : The Life of Milena
Jesenska. Overlook, Woodstock. 1997. Softcover. Very good condition
throughout. $9.00.

Hong, Nansook. In the Shadow of the Moons : My Life in the Reverend
Sun Myung Moon's Family. Little, Brown. Boston. 1998. Hardcover.
Very good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket. $7.00.

Kaku, Michio. Visions : How Science Will Revolutionize the 21st
Century. Anchor Books / Doubleday, New York. 1998. First Paperback
Edition. Omnibus of futuristic science: The Invisible Computer, the
Intelligent Planet, Machines that Think, Molecular Medicine,
Conquering Cancer, Beyond Silicon, etc. $6.00.

Kingsberg, Haddon, Jr., When Life Calls Out To Us : The Love and
Lifework of Viktor and Elly Frankl. The Story Behind "Man's Search
for Meaning". Doubleday, New York. Published October, 2001. First
Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine
dustjacket, slightly creased at top edges. $25.00.

Lee, Spike and Wiley, Ralph. By Any Means Necessary : The Trials and
Tribulations of the Making of Malcolm X...including the screenplay.
Introduction by Terry McMillan. Hyperion, 1992. Trade Softcover.
Good to Very Good condition throughout. A series of the top tips of
pages are creased and some slightly torn at tips only. $5.00.

Levinson, Paul. Bestseller : Wired, Analog, and Digital Writings.
Pulpless.com, Mill Valley, 1999. First Edition. Trade softcover.
Good to very good throughout. Oddity by "theorist and award-winning
science fiction" author. $17.50.

Lord Russell of Liverpool. The Knights of Bushido. A Short History
of Japanese War Crimes. With an Introduction by Norman Stone.
Greenhill Books, London. This edition first published 2005, follows
1958 edition, with new introduction. Softcover. Very good to fine
condition throughout. Illustrated with horrific photographs.
$14.50.

Masiel, David. The Western Limit of the World. Random House, New
York. 2005. Hardcover. Very good in very good to fine dustjacket.
Discount price stamped on bottom edge. $14.50.

McDowell, Josh. The Da Vinci Code : A Quest For Answers. Green Key
Books, Holiday, Fl. First Edition, 2006. Paperback. $2.00.

Minatoya, Lydia. Talking to High Monks in the Snow : An Asian American
Odysse. Harper Collins, New York. 1992. Hardcover. Dustjacket. Very
good in very good dustjacket. Small gift inscription in pencil on
very top of f.e.p. $9.00.

Montalbano, William D. Basilica. Putnam's, New York, 1998. First
Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine
dustjacket. "Ecclesiastical thriller with a view of the Vatican only
an insider could provide." $5.00

Murray, Douglas. Bosie : A Biography of Lord Alfred Douglas. Talk
Miramax Books by Hyperion, New York. First U.S. Edition. 2000. Very
good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket. $12.00.

Needleman, Jacob. Lost Christianity : A Journal of Rediscovery to the
Centre of Christian Experience. Element Books, Shaftesbury, Dorset
and Rockport, Mass. $4.00.

Nostradamus and Ned Halley, editor. The Complete Prophecies of
Nostradamus. Castle Books, New York, 2001. Hardcover. Very good in
very good to fine condition. $6.00.

Rice, Anne. Merrick - A Novel. Knopf. New York. 2000. Very good
hardcover in very good dustjacket. $6.00.

Robbins, Jhan. Inka Dinka Doo : The Life of Jimmy Durante. Paragon
House, New York, 1991. Hardcover. Very good in very good dustjacket,
protected by clear plastic wrapper. $8.00.

Rogers, Dale Evans. Christmas Is Always. Fleming H. Revell,
Westwood, N.J., 1958. Presumed first edition. Black boards with star
light pattern, very good, in illustrated good to very good
dustjacket. Slight sticker removal from back cover. Inscribed by
previous owner on front end paper. $7.00.

Roman, Sanaya "Channel for Orin". Spiritual Growth : Being Your
Higher Self. Book III of the Earth Life Series. H.J. Kramer,
Tiburon. 1989. Later edition. Very good to fine condition
throughout. $5.00.

Scarne, John. Scarne's New Complete Guide to Gambling. Revised,
Expanded, Updated Edition. Simon & Schuster / Fireside Book, New
York. First published in 1961. This is the 2005 edition. Hardcover.
871 pgs. Very good to fine in very good dustjacket. $14.00.

Shea, John. The Spirit Master. Thomas More Press, Chicago, 1987.
Softcover. Very good throughout. Small label on f.e.p. $5.00.

Sikorsky, Robert. Quest for the Dutchman's Gold : The 100-Year
Mystery! The Facts, Myths and Legends of the Lost Dutchman Mine and
the Superstition Mountains. Golden West Publications, Phoenix, 1991.
Trade Softcover. Illustrated throughout, including both covers, with
photos, drawings, and maps. The mystery is nearly impenetrable,
however. $8.00.

Silverberg, Robert. Tom O'Bedlam. Donald I. Fine, New York, 1985.
First Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine
dustjacket. $7.50.

Smith, Jeffery. Where the Roots Reach the Water : A Personal &
Natural History of Melancholia. North Point Press, New York, 1999.
Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good dustjacket. $7.50

Soros, George. The New Paradigm for Financial Markets: The Credit
Crisis of 2008 and What It Means. Public Affairs, New York, 2008.
Hardcover. For some reason, this VERY TIMELY book is circulating in
Germany and the U.K., but NO copies in the U.S. yet, according to ABE,
anyway! $20.00

Stanley,Thomas J., Ph.D., The Millionaire Mind. Andrews McMeel,
Kansas City, 2000. Later edition. $7.00.

Thomas, Elizabeth Marshall. The Animated Wife : A Novel by the Author
of Reindeer Moon. Houghton Mifflin, Boston, 1990. Hardcover. Very
good to fine in very good to fine dustjacket. $3.00.

Thomsen, Moritz. The Saddest Pleasure : A Journey on Two Rivers.
Introduction by Paul Theroux. Graywolf, Saint Paul. 1990. Second
Printing. Softcover. Very good to fine throughout. In the Graywolf
Press Memoir Series. By the author of Living Poor and the Farm on the
River of Emeralds. $6.00.

Tracy, Clarence. A Portrait of Richard Graves. University of Toronto,
Toronto, 1987. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good to fine
dustjacket. Illustrated. $7.00.

Van Draanen, Wendelin. Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen.
Knopf, New York. 2004. Very good to fine in very good dustjacket.
This is a juvenile detective yarn, starting with a dead cat, and
getting weirder after that. $7.00.

Vokac, David. The Great Towns of the West : A Guide to Their Special
Pleasures. West Press, San Diego. 1986. Third Printing. Softcover.
$3.00.

Wolfe, Michael. Man On A String. Harper & Row, New York. 1973.
First Edition. Hardcover. Very good to fine in very good dustjacket
which has a few creases at bottom of spine only. A Harper Novel of
Suspense. Author's First Book. $15.00.

Since the only way I can revise this list is to post a new one, I may
have to do that, with additions and subtractions, at some future date,
as some of these are shipped. Best, ------Ed