Debugging forked processes with Process_monitor_unix.py ?

ipp...@hackthebox.eu

Nov 25, 2018, 4:33:34 PM11/25/18
to boofuzz
I'm trying to fuzz a webserver that for every request it creates a child process via fork().  Process_monitor_unix.py is successfully starting the webserver, however it doesn't appear to be detecting when the forked process crashes.   I've verified with gdb that the very first request from my BooFuzz fuzzer script crashes the webserver.

It appears that the process monitor is attaching to the webserver but not following into the child processes.  Is there an easy way to do this?

joshua.t...@gmail.com

Dec 1, 2018, 2:34:20 AM12/1/18
to boofuzz
Try out the `proc_name` parameter. Set it the same way you would start_commands, etc. The Unix procmon will search for the process by name instead of latching onto the initial process. See here for how it currently works: https://github.com/jtpereyda/boofuzz/blob/9be8534e56dcf97188d767ee1accee877bda4e6b/boofuzz/utils/debugger_thread_simple.py#L145 and https://github.com/jtpereyda/boofuzz/blob/9be8534e56dcf97188d767ee1accee877bda4e6b/boofuzz/utils/debugger_thread_simple.py#L96

Happy fuzzing!