BoofCV on Android with Kotlin

Detlev Noll

May 30, 2020, 3:58:05 AM5/30/20
to BoofCV
Hi,

I'm lecturing a course on Android App development (in Android Studio with Kotlin) and would like the students to build a project based on this inspiring blog article

https://levelup.gitconnected.com/qr-code-scanner-in-kotlin-e15dd9bfbb1f

While the Java example apps are great, unfortunately, I couldn't manage to get a running app using boofcv with kotlin, yet. Is there by chance any basic demo app coded in kotlin I could build on?

Thanks for any help,

Detlev.

Peter A

May 31, 2020, 12:22:30 PM5/31/20
to boofcv
I can create a simple Kotlin Android app based off of these Java examples. Would that work? Also are you interested in scanning for QR codes live or finding images on the phone?

"Now, now my good man, this is no time for making enemies."    — Voltaire (1694-1778), on his deathbed in response to a priest asking that he renounce Satan.

Detlev Noll

May 31, 2020, 1:00:16 PM5/31/20
to boo...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

that would bei perfect. Thanks for the quick reply and your offer to support. I would be interested in
scanning QR codes in the live stream for an augmented reality example app.

Best regards,
Detlev

Peter A

May 31, 2020, 1:39:59 PM5/31/20
to boofcv
That's simple enough, but BoofCV's built in camera code uses an out of date approach. it works just fine but should written as a fragment (issue). it should be easy enough to use another camera library too, but more effort to do all the visualizations. If you choose to stick with these examples as is I would just mention that in your class.

I'll let you know when I've got something ready.

Peter A

Jun 6, 2020, 3:33:21 PM6/6/20
to boofcv
https://github.com/lessthanoptimal/KBoofExamples/tree/master/android

Added the Android examples. While not a big deal (not even sure they would have helped here) I didn't include the Kotlin extensions since they depend on a lot of stuff that causes build problems, like Swing.

Detlev Noll

Jun 7, 2020, 2:31:19 AM6/7/20
to boo...@googlegroups.com
Peter,

many thanks! I could successfully build the App in Android Studio 4.0 and will further work from here.

I very much appreciate your support and I'm sure my students will so, too.

Detlev

Peter A

Jun 7, 2020, 10:18:42 AM6/7/20
to boofcv
If you see a way to do a better job Kotlinizing the code feel free to create a PR. It's mostly auto ported code but I did try to add a few Kotlin specific things.