How best video write in a trial-based experiment?

patricio simoes

Feb 28, 2023, 6:25:10 AM2/28/23
to Bonsai Users
Hello all,
I would like to do a trial-based experiment and write a video for posterior offline analysis.
During the experiment, each trial will be presented for 5 seconds following for a 5 seconds Inter-trial interval, and will repeat, let's say, 20 times.
My question, and sorry if it's general, is what will be the best strategy for video recording?
1) Write a single video for the duration of the experiement. In that case, how to mark the start and end of each trial?
or
2) Write several trial-sized videos. And what if we also want video for the rest periods? Will this approach drag on and compromise the size/quality/timing of the videos?

For context, we have already a working workflow where we have a trial-based stimulation (controlled by a CSV reader) and the anaylsis is done online into written into a CSV file, where we track the start and end of each trial by regestering the timestamps. No video is recorded in this configuration. However, we need to change this to an offline anaylsis, but we are uncertain what what better option for the video recording.

Thank you so much,
All the best,
Patricio

brunocruz

Mar 1, 2023, 4:45:40 PM3/1/23
to Bonsai Users

Hi!

We are making a push to move all discussions and Q&A to GitHub. As a result, I would invite you to copy your question there.

See you there,
Bruno