BoltWire 7.01

Dan Vis

Jun 2, 2020, 11:02:57 AM6/2/20
to BoltWire
Hi Everyone!

Another quick update that I've just released version 7.01, another big step in our upgrade process. This one is primarily focused on the new membership system I've been wanting to build. Very happy with how it all turned out. It makes major progress toward protecting data (security) and boosting performance for large memberships (scalability). It also allow for easy hooks to integrate with a database or crm for managing your member data. It also uses an email based login system (with a numeric assigned id), rather than asking members to choose their own id, which is important for supporting transactional emails, etc.

It does mean, this system is not compatible with prior versions (even 7.00). To use with existing sites, be sure to enable the new simplelogin plugin, which restores prior behavior. I'll try to do an upgrade script at some point.

There have been no bug reports yet, so I'm starting to feel more comfortable with this 7.xx series, but I'd still consider it somewhat experimental until we finish up this current round of upgrades. Still to do: the Site Checklist page, a Site Members section for managing member data, and a plugin for email double optins and another for password reminders.

Incidentally, I've applied this new account registration system to the BoltWire site and set up a separate newsletter subscription process, so if you are interested in testing either out, please do. I'd be grateful for any feedback on ways to fine tune or tweak how things work.

Not quite finished yet, but it's coming along. A couple more releases, and we'll be fully switched over!

Cheers,
Dan

mz

Jun 3, 2020, 4:39:21 AM6/3/20
to BoltWire
Thank you for this release. First impressions:

Default skin: needs the line <meta charset="utf-8"> in the header to get umlauts right. Maybe other skins too.

Login: Being logged in and switching Boltwire versions on the server everything is ok. Logging out with v7.01 will not let me in again ("There is problem ..."). Tried join but doesn't help. Back to v7.0 I can login again.

Greetings, Martin

Dan Vis

Jun 3, 2020, 8:47:51 PM6/3/20
to BoltWire
Oops, looks like I neglected to actually send this. Was in my drafts...

Anyway, I've tried to do some reading up on the charset tag and it seems these two lines are both supposed to be interchangeable

Though the debate goes on and on. I've update all the system skins to use the shorter (newer) setting. You were right that it was missing from the default skin. Eventually I'll go through and check all the others and update.

As for your login issue, a couple questions. Was this a new test site, or an existing site? The system would preserve your login status via sessions, but would need an account using the new mbase system to log you back in.

Did you try creating a new account using 7.01? If so, do you have a cryptkey set in your index.php file? It's possible that's not working right. By default, new systems do not use encryption.

Did you try it with the simplelogin plugin enabled? I haven't fully tested that, but just imported from the old version so should work...

If you did create a new account using the 7.01 system, can you verify that field/mbase/mbase.password was created. You should also see the email, name, title, since, &country pages. These are all created during the new account creation process...

Let me know so we can debug this and make sure it's working for new accounts. I have not yet done an upgrade script to convert old membership files to the new system...

Cheers,
Dan

mz

Jun 4, 2020, 2:43:09 AM6/4/20
to BoltWire
I can run as many test cases as you want.
You just have to tell me exactly what I have to do, like: do a fresh installation, then this, then that ...

I was logged in but had the browser window not open, then copied v7.01 on the server, called the url, was still logged in, logged out, run into the problem with the skin (no div id="main"), tried some actions, got the message "There is a problem with this account. Please contact ..."

In general it would be a good idea to describe some test cases you are interested in whenever there is a new release.

Greetings, Martin
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to bolt...@googlegroups.com.

Dan Vis

Jun 4, 2020, 9:46:53 AM6/4/20
to BoltWire
I've tweaked the splash skin so it will display better, but it's designed to allow you to style the main zone in the page rather than in the skin.

The login problem is to be expected. BoltWire is looking for the password to be stored in a different location than used currently. Try enabling the simplelogin plugin and see if that works for you.

If you are the only user on that account, you should be able to create a new account. If you have a lot of members, you will need a script to convert your member info to the new system.

Cheers,
Dan

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boltwire/16d38566-631f-491d-9b09-87dd8574d67f%40googlegroups.com.