Exciting News: 7.00 is released...

Dan Vis

May 26, 2020, 9:05:07 PM5/26/20
to BoltWire
Hi all,

If you've been a BoltWire user for some time, you probably know I like to make a habit of giving back something big on my birthday as a way of saying thank you to what's been a really great community all these years. And with today being my birthday, it's the perfect day to announce the release of BoltWire 7.00!

I'm not going to list all the changes here, because there are simply too many. But basically, everything came together so fast, I decided to dispense with all the beta releases and put out the whole upgrade in one massive push. Sigh of relief...

You can grab it right now:  http://www.boltwire.com/downloads

My advice is to do some testing with it on a test installation--and don't upgrade any existing sites just yet. There are some significant incompatibilities and I haven't yet written up a full upgrade guide yet. But you can check out all the skins, language packs, and plugins, right in the core distribution. And help me spot any issues I've missed.

My guess is it will take a couple more releases before I'm really comfortable saying this is our stable release. But I'm pretty excited about it, and it's working fabulously on the BoltWire site.

Don't forget to read the changelog on the Release History page. It's quite long...

Cheers,
Dan

PS. The only thing I haven't really tackled is the new membership system, and I'm leaning toward doing that as a module or something actually, as it is extremely complicated getting everything working right. The flip side is, there are no more major changes left on my roadmap for version 7. Time to take a pause, and go eat some birthday cake...

mz

May 27, 2020, 3:28:01 AM5/27/20
to BoltWire
Wow. Happy birthday to you!
Thank you for the new one. You even beat your own timeline.

Greetings, Martin

TMurNGon

May 30, 2020, 2:51:46 PM5/30/20
to BoltWire
Happy (belated) birthday Dan!

mz

Jun 2, 2020, 12:06:00 PM6/2/20
to BoltWire
First impressions ...

Installation: copied the folder into my server folder structure. Renamed it. Called the field url. Smooth.

Splash skin: somehow this skin html lacks the <div id="main">. In addition, on the welcome page font color is black on a black background. So content will not displayed even if you add the id.

Skin auth: preview of the skins is impressive. Text should display a link if I want to use a skin, like: "Here is how the white skin displays this page. Click here to view another skin. Use this skin (link to skin.auth)". Every skin I previewed was copied in my fields files folder.

Editing css: really impressive. It seems that changes will go in the css file, but display comes from the styles.css file, where html points to hardcoded. So changes are not displayed. After playing with skins I immediately forgot the skin name I work with. Better show the name of the skin that is used right now on site.skins so I know what to expect when I edit a skin.

Insert data vars into the html file on site.skins: works great!

Queries, vars etc. are fine.

Greetings, Martin

Dan Vis

Jun 3, 2020, 10:39:34 AM6/3/20
to BoltWire
Glad everything seemed to be work fine Martin! appreciate you taking a look and reporting back!

As for the Splash skin, that is somewhat by design. To create the full page skin, you can't put the div styling for each segment in the skin, you have to put it in the page. If you look at the sample "splash" page for example, you'll see the image background and other styling is in the page.

I should turn the default background white by default. I'm not sure what else to do and keep the skin working for it's intended purpose of being a landing page skin...

Cheers,
Dan

Dan Vis

Jun 3, 2020, 12:02:05 PM6/3/20
to BoltWire
A couple other notes I forgot to respond to:

As per your suggestions, I made a few changes to the site.skins page and the preview page now bolds the skin name to make it stand out better.

Yes, a skin has to be installed to be previewed. But you can click that skin in the second column and delete it.

As for the code.skin.name.css changes not taking effect, there was a slight mistake in the site.skins.css page. Somehow I neglected to include this middle line:

[command edit {=content} loadtime={now} page=code.skin.{?skin}.css]
[command skin update {?skin}]
[command nextpage site.skins&skin={?skin}]

That's what updates the new style.css file to reflect your changes. You'll note this line is included in the site.skins.update page. But that actually doesn't seem to be working properly. I only setup one skin to use skin settings (the ancient skin) though I am planning to make more of the css configurable via settings in all the skins. But after a good bit of digging around, I found a slight glitch in the new code that was keeping that from working.

I won't post that fix here (unless you ask for it) but it will be in the next release. When that comes out be sure to install the ancient skin and then click the update settings and you'll see what I mean. It's got color pickers for multiple settings in the css. You simple select the color you want and click save. The code.skin.ancient.css page stores that data and then the  style.css script is update instantly. Very cool effect.

Actually, if you want to take a peek you can install the ancient skin and then copy overwrite the local skin css file with the share skin css file. The glitch involved deleting the data values in that file in the site installation process. Once that is corrected you can see the effect. Now to just fine a couple hours and update all the skins like that. I'm also thinking I can create a picture upload system for graphics in the skin, making it super easy to install new graphics... Not sure its worth the trouble when you can edit the skin directly, but mabye...

And last but not least, I updated all the site.skin pages to include the current skin right at the top of the page. Much better that way!

Thanks for all these great suggestions and fixes. Why a community is so awesome!

Cheers,
Dan