7.0.6 site.config

mz

Jul 31, 2020, 8:28:34 AM7/31/20
to BoltWire
I added these lines to site.config:
homepage: xxx (to change the homepage from welcome to another page)
mobilepat: myskin (to get rid of the mobile skin which is hardcoded in the engine for mobile agents)

Maybe you put these options into site.config by default.

Greetings,  Martin

Dan Vis

Jul 31, 2020, 10:35:04 AM7/31/20
to BoltWire
To disable the mobile skin, use

skinMobileUse: false

But I don't think I want to disable that by default as most people would want a mobile version for the site.

And the same with the default home page. The current installation has a whole series of welcome pages for the non logged in user. I wouldn't want to change that in the default. I could redefine it in site.config but not sure the benefit--other than making it easier perhaps for others to change it. ???

Cheers,
Dan

mz

Aug 2, 2020, 4:26:23 AM8/2/20
to BoltWire
I see your point. But the thing is, as a new user, you have to cope with many decisions outside BoltWire: thinking about your skin, choosing colors, fonts, font-sizes etc. The very last thing you want is that there are surprises in BoltWire. And a surprise it is when you manage to put together your personal skin and you open your site on a mobile your skin is gone and the default mobile skin kicks in. At this point I would understand that some users consider this is a bug not a feature.

I would mention the existence of a hard coded default mobile skin on the config.skin page, like: default skin and default mobile skin. This is the first place someone would look for. And again on the config settings page like skin: myskin and mobileskin: mymobileskin or myskin. skinMobileUse: false is not correct since you have the option to put together your own mobile skin (hope so).

For other config settings I would list them on the config settings page too with their default values. A new user does not even think about that the homepage can be altered simply on config settings. Maybe the page can be grouped into topics (skins, email, etc)

I stumbled also on the time function. We had this before. If you want to get days or months in your language you have to put up a config.php page (using ftp) in your field with setlocale. If there is no workaround to avoid this that works preferably for all fields I will post the solution here.

On the plus side I gave up my usual skin editing workflow using a text processor and ftp and edited all my css inside BoltWire. This worked fast and reliable and better than my usual workflow. Fantastic!

Greetings, Martin

Dan Vis

Aug 10, 2020, 7:07:44 PM8/10/20
to BoltWire
Fair enough, I see your point. I had some things in site.config that no one ever changes like stampsExpire, etc. So I can certainly include a few more entries on the default site.config page. There are a huge number of config options, so I'm not going to include everything, but I can edit our list to make it more useful...

Basically, I've added

homeMobile: welcome
homePage: welcome
skinDefault: default
skinMobile: mobile
skinPrint: print
timezone:

And deleted the skin, the stamps settings, and set linkrot to false by default, etc.  If you want to suggest other settings that should be easily found there, let me know...

As for the skins, I really would encourage the use of site.auth.skins which gives amazing control down to the page level of what skin is used where. Very powerful. But we can start with this!

The timezone setting sets the system time to whatever locale you want, but I don't know if it changes the output of various time functions. If I need to change something else to do that, let me know. You can set your format anyway you want using strftime values, but there's probably a way to set a default format...

Cheers,
Dan