Some updates to BoltWire

Dan Vis

Sep 5, 2023, 5:38:26 PM9/5/23
to BoltWire
Hi All,

I'm take a few days off from my regular work to do some upgrades to BoltWire. I'm not sure how many people are still using this as our support list has gone quite quiet, but thought I would ask if anyone has any requests for the core code while I'm working at it.

Also a couple specific questions:

1) Does anyone use the start.php script? I'm wondering if it might not be best to go back to just letting people create their own index.php pages.

2) One of my goals is to create a sandbox mechanism so I can edit the scripts/plugins directly via a chromebook say, without having to worry about ftp and a local server.

I've also decided to abandon my various hopes of providing webhosting and/or premium packages. I don't think there's enough interest, and I prefer to focus on my web projects using BoltWire.

So part of this round of updates will be to export/unify my custom plugins with the expansion pack and thus simplify my code base. In the long run it should make BoltWire an even more robust platform.

I'm also hoping to maybe update the documentation some. BoltWire has so many more features under the hood--I've rediscovering some of them myself as I go through the code line by line...

 Anyway, let me know if you are still using BoltWire and if you have any feature requests or bug fixes.

Cheers,
Dan

Bruno Diazzi

Oct 4, 2023, 2:57:48 PM10/4/23
to bolt...@googlegroups.com
Hallo Dan,
i am using Boltwire and also start.php
It would be nice to have the documentation in a PDF-File
It would be very useful to have more examples in the documentation
Thank you very much for Boltwire
Bruno.

Virenfrei.www.avast.com

tbfh...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2023, 7:59:37 PM12/25/23
to BoltWire
Would just like to know if there's any hope of getting a basic (easy-to-install) version of Boltwire, or,
if the project is dead, just say so. I'm using Ubuntu Linux. 18.04. All I want is to be able to install
Boltwire and bring up a basic demo site, such that I can ascertain whether I can actually use BW
to build out a site. Why is a project like boltwire needed? Example: I did an update to one of my
Ubuntu installations, and the update disabled the sound support. IMHO, the major distros are in the
process of attempting to block independent users and surround them with de-facto pay-walls, Ubuntu
pro for example.
AFAIK, Boltwire is in 'zombi-mode' (meaning, none of my inquiries have been answered.)
Hope I'm wrong.

Dan Vis

Dec 28, 2023, 11:13:36 AM12/28/23
to bolt...@googlegroups.com
Hi tbfh1955,

BoltWire should be easy enough to install. And though our community is not super active, I'm still actively developing BoltWire for my own uses.

Have you read the installation instructions? If so what step caused you problems?

I've been told there is some update needed for php 8, I haven't tackled that yet--as my server is still on php7. But that could be an issue. But yes, please, let me know what problems you are having, and I'll be happy to try and walk you through it. :)

Cheers,
Dan

Climb higher in your walk with God...

mz

Apr 23, 2024, 7:39:30 AMApr 23
to BoltWire
Of course I still use BoltWire. I have several sites running on BoltWire.
After up to 10 years running untouched - except of regular content updates - I feel the need for an update.
This is the time for me to get back to BoltWire again.
I think BoltWire is robust enough. And I agree: it has more under the hood than you see on the first view.
Thank you Dan!

Dan Vis

Apr 23, 2024, 11:16:16 AMApr 23
to bolt...@googlegroups.com
Glad to hear things are still working well for you Martin. I have php 8 on my home server and have all the BoltWire bugs worked out, though, it is still throwing some error messages. I can try to do a new release sometime soon if you like.

My life has gotten very busy, thanks largely to the success of BoltWire as a platform. My online school just passed 20,000 accounts. Wow! But as a result my priorities have switched to just making BoltWire the best I can make it--with no goals of marketing or monetizing any of the software I've built. I don't have time. Having this platform is reward in itself!

So new releases have been less frequent. And I need to rethink my goals for the endpoint distribution. There's no longer any real point to have a free and premium version, and I'm not doing any kind of hosted option. I also have tons of plugins on my site that add endless capabilities that I just need to release into the core.  I just need to think about how I want that output to finally look.

If there's an interest in anything specific let me know. I can try to prioritize those requests.

Cheers,
Dan