Comet 237P LINEAR

Ross Wilkinson

Sep 3, 2023, 5:43:05 AM9/3/23
to Bolton Astronomical Society
This comet was first detected by the LINEAR project in 2002 (when it was designated 2002 LN13), but then was seen to return with a period around 6.5 years.
I did capture an image of it during its 2016 return, using an iTelescope in New South Wales, but this was my first chance to catch it at first-hand.
It's well-placed at the moment, in the constellation of Aquila, but only about magnitude 13, so difficult to pick out in a crowded star-field, especially through hazy cloud, light pollution and scattered Moonlight. Therefore I needed to use my "invisible comet" process on the data:
237p_2sep2023.png
That's a stack of 56x 1-min from the Mx716 camera on my C8 operating at f/3.5.