Comet C/2022 A2 (ATLAS)

Ross Wilkinson

Jan 17, 2023, 5:34:02 AM1/17/23
to Bolton Astronomical Society
I got my first view of this comet last night, low down in the North (in the constellation of Draco):
c2022a2_16jan2023.png
This is a stack of 50x 1-minute images from my Mx716 camera on my C8 operating at f/3.5. By then it was so low that it was starting to "set" behind the shed roof! (I was planning to move on to C/2022 U2 afterwards, but the clouds had rolled in.)
This comet is more or less at its peak (magnitude 9): https://people.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/2022A2.JPG

Ross Wilkinson

Jan 17, 2023, 11:12:22 AM1/17/23
to Bolton Astronomical Society
Oops, I mixed up the attributions between 2022 A2 and 2022 U2 - A2 was in fact discovered by PanSTARRS a year ago, whereas the ATLAS project found U2 only last October. The latter is high up near Cassiopeia, so I hope to catch it on the next clear night...