Comet 2019 U5 (PanSTARRS)

Ross Wilkinson

Apr 3, 2023, 6:39:29 AM4/3/23
to Bolton Astronomical Society
I think that last night was the first proper clear night since the end of February, but there was a very bright Moon causing "natural light pollution"!
Nonethelesss, I set up to get my first image of comet 2019 U5:
c2019u5_2apr2023.png
With the bright Moonlight I couldn't use exposures longer than 30-sec (this is a stack of 105). The comet is around 12th magnitude and recent pictures have shown a distinct tail, but I couldn't detect much of it last night.
Message has been deleted

Ross Wilkinson

Apr 8, 2023, 4:06:56 PM4/8/23
to Bolton Astronomical Society
I got it again last night, with a better view of the tail. I took the data before the Full Moon rose:
c2019u5_7apr2023.png
This is a stack of 52x 1-minute with my Mx716 camera on the C8 operating at f/3.5.
That gap in the star-trails was when our neighbours' floodlight came on for 3 minutes!