New Year, new comet!

Ross Wilkinson

Jan 29, 2021, 3:46:46 AM1/29/21
to Bolton Astronomical Society

At least the year 2021 began with a clear night!
So I was able to get my first image of 12th magnitude comet 398P/Boattini, just above the constellation of Orion.

This was discovered in 2009 by Andrea Boattini with the Catalina Sky Survey's 0.68m Schmidt and designated C/2009 Q4, with a period of 5.6 years.
It was seen again last year (initially as C/2020 P2), and found to be the return of the 2009 object.
398p_1jan.bmp

That's a stack of 90x 1-min through my C8 at f/3.5 (the Moon was rising during this capture, so the contrast is compromised).