Comet C/2022 E3 (ZTF) - one to watch

Ross Wilkinson

Sep 2, 2022, 3:41:48 AM9/2/22
to Bolton Astronomical Society
This comet was discovered by the Zwicky Transient Facility at Palomar back in March, and I first detected it last month.
It's only around 12th magnitude at the moment, but will brighten over the winter, potentially reaching magnitude 6 in February (https://people.ast.cam.ac.uk/~jds/2022E3.JPG) at which time it will be high in the sky too.
Meanwhile, I got another image of it last night, and its tail is quite prominent:
c2022e3_1sep22.png
Stack of 46x 1-min with Mx716 on C8 at f/3.5

Ross Wilkinson

Sep 25, 2022, 11:51:46 AM9/25/22
to Bolton Astronomical Society
Last night I tried another imaging run on this comet. I collected 73x 1-min exposures, but after I'd taken out the ones spoilt by satellite trails, clouds, the neighbours' floodlight and the comet "setting" behind an adjoining roof, guess how many I was left with to stack?

This comet is still around 12th magnitude (and already showing a tail) and is expected to get a lot brighter over the coming winter months...

c2022e3_24sep22.png
Stack of 34x 1-min from Mx716 on C8 at f/3.5