Comet C/2021 A2 (NEOWISE)

Ross Wilkinson

Feb 11, 2021, 6:32:43 AM2/11/21
to Bolton Astronomical Society
This comet was discovered at the beginning of the year, but has only now risen into the Northern sky.
I started setting up my mount just after 7pm, but as I was setting my alignment and focus on Betelgeuse it clouded over.
But then it had cleared by 8:30, so I managed to catch the comet before it "set" behind the neighbours' roof:
c2021a2_10feb.bmp
(that was 53x 60-sec from my C8 operating at f/3.5)

The clouds had returned by 10pm and when I went out to pack away, a few snowflakes were coming down!

That's only the second time this year I've had the 'scope out - and the first time was 1st January!