4th Jan 2022: four comets in one night!

Ross Wilkinson

Jan 5, 2022, 11:57:32 AM1/5/22
to Bolton Astronomical Society
As well as chairing our meeting on Zoom, I did manage to catch all four of the comets which I'd been waiting for.

The first was 29P/Schwassmann-Wachmann, high up in Taurus:
29p_4jan22.png
This has frequent outbursts and I've imaged it before back in 2018.
This time it's quite diffuse, so it wasnt' visible in my individual 1-minute exposures and I needed to use my "invisible comet" process to stack it.

Next I had a look at C/2019 L3 (ATLAS), which was much brighter, but lower down in Gemini:
c2019l3_4jan22.png

Then I moved on to 4P/Faye, which I'd imaged back in 2006. I found it in a star-field full of faint stars, so the "invisible comet" process was needed again for stacking:
4p_4jan22.png

And finally just before 10pm I moved on to 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko (the target of the Rosetta mission), which was rising above the trees to the East. This proved to be the most spectacultar (sporting a visible tail), but by then the clouds had started to arrive, so I only managed a couple of ten-minute bursts:
67p_4jan22.png

At least I now know which two targets to concentrate on tonight...

Ross Wilkinson

Jan 6, 2022, 10:02:53 AM1/6/22
to Bolton Astronomical Society
With no clouds to contend with, I could concentrate on the two brighter comets which I'd "discovered" the previous night.

c2019l3_5jan22.png
I set up the 'scope just after 7pm and first took C/2019 L3 (ATLAS) with 91x 1-min using my Mx716 camera on the C8 operating at f/3.5.

67p_5jan.png
Then by 9:30pm 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko was just clearing the trees, so I collected 65x 1-minute exposures before packing away.