New reading in 2010?

Antonio Marcos Pereira

Dec 16, 2009, 10:16:58 AM12/16/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Dear Matt + Comrades from the list,

Any plans for new reading rounds of 2666 next year? Now, with my first reading done, I'd love to do it again.

Best,

Antonio

--
Antonio Marcos Pereira
Prof Adjunto I

Daryl Learn Houston

Dec 16, 2009, 10:24:21 AM12/16/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
In theory, infinitesummer.org will be leading a reading of 2666 in January and February, but the organizer has been pretty quiet lately, so I'm not sure whether or not that's still on.

Matt Bucher

Dec 16, 2009, 10:24:29 AM12/16/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
There is supposed to be a group reading of 2666 on infinite summer
soon (Jan-Feb). Maybe it would be best to follow along with their
schedule?

Daryl Learn Houston

Dec 16, 2009, 10:29:39 AM12/16/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Just checked the infinitesummer.org organizer's twitter account and found the following update 13 days ago (in response to another tweet that I didn't dig up):

"Yes, 2666. Maybe.  No, for sure: Jan/Feb of 2010.  Probably.  Like, 85% chance."

So I think this means that 2666 is still on for Jan/Feb, but that it could fall through. It might be useful to wait until January and see. I can say that the big group read of Infinite Jest was really cool. Whether or not a similar experience would emerge for 2666, who knows?

Antonio Marcos Pereira

Dec 16, 2009, 10:34:36 AM12/16/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info, Daryl and Matt. Fact is I'm clueless as far as the working logic of infinitesummer goes. I'm ready for a discussion group, but if it's a blog (or sorta) and I have to follow it in order to comment, it may not work for me.

Daryl Learn Houston

Dec 16, 2009, 10:50:46 AM12/16/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Antonio, the IS program for me was a whole lot of work because I actually blogged my reading rather than just reading along. I read a few blogs as well, so on top of close reading and spending as much as 8 or 10 hours a week sometimes writing about the book, I was reading other people's blogs and often commenting back. Many people participated in forums as well, but I couldn't squeeze out time for that.

One of the big benefits was reading along with a bunch of people new to the work. As someone very familiar with Wallace's work, it was in a way very validating to me to witness the discovery of his writing by all these new readers. As I recall, the 2666 read a year or so ago on this list wound up petering out (though maybe I just lost interest at some point). The IS program had done a pretty good job during its two installments so far of sticking to deadlines and publishing a manageable amount of content pertaining to the books in question. It's when you start following all the splinter blogs (ahem, such as http://infinitezombies.wordpress.com, ahem) that it becomes a time sink.

If an email list book club is more to your taste, that seems reasonable enough. I'm just a little skeptical that there'd be a whole lot of participation after the first enthusiastic rush. I've tried to point people to this list, and I'm sure the IS organizer will do the same, so it's possible that a new rush of participants will join the list and keep the discussion active. I don't think that really was the case with wallace-l and the first installment of IS, but you never know what might happen.

In any case, it's certainly possible that those of us following the 2666 IS project could occasionally chime in here with a link to an interesting blog post to prod discussion during any lapses. That's yet another reason to coordinate a second group read here with the IS read. I don't plan to reread 2666 just yet myself, but I'm interested in what happens with the online discussion and will keep my ear to the ground.

ReadingTPA

Dec 26, 2009, 5:00:53 PM12/26/09
to bolano-l
The Infinite Summer website seems all but dead. There has not been any
activity in over a month and there are no updates indicating there
will be a read in January.

Daryl Learn Houston

Dec 27, 2009, 10:07:10 PM12/27/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I've sent the coordinator an email asking if he can provide me an update. If I hear anything, I'll report here.

ReadingTPA

Dec 30, 2009, 7:53:41 PM12/30/09
to bolano-l
How about we post a schedule here that starts on Jan 23, 2010? We can
post in the IJ forum that we are doing it here and anyone interested
can comment as they please. No leader, no blog, just comments here as
we have them during the read. Of course if someone wants to do a blog
more power to them. If the group here doesn't get many comments that's
fine too, but it will be nice to have a place to ask questions or
discuss as we read.

If IJ decides to do the read we can just switch over and get on their
schedule and participate with them.

We can use the same schedule that was used in 2009 and update it to
this year. The schedule from the 2009 read is below (we can update to
2010 dates):

The Part About the Critics (GR-Critics-x)
week 01 : January 12 - pages 1-51 - Matt Bucher
week 02 : January 19 - pages 51-102 - Antonio Marcos Pereira
week 03 : January 26 - pages 102-159 - Dustin Long

The Part About Amalfitano (GR-Amalfitano-x)
week 04 : February 2 - pages 163-195 - Dillon Young
week 05 : February 9 - pages 195-228 - Chiles Samaniego

The Part About Fate (GR-Fate-x)
week 06 : February 16 - pages 231-273 - Patrick Ricci
week 07 : February 23 - pages 274-312 - Ana Bozicevic and Lilly
Sullivan
week 08 : March 2 - pages 312-349 - Nick Burd

The Part About the Crimes (GR-Crimes-x)
week 09 : March 9 - pages 353-404 - Lucas de Lima
week 10 : March 16 - pages 404-459 - Andrew Haley
week 11 : March 23 - pages 459-513 - Zsuzsa Mitro
week 12 : March 30 - pages 513-564 - Richard Melo
week 13 : April 6 - pages 564-633 - Lee Henderson

The Part About Archimboldi (GR-Archimboldi-x)
week 14 : April 13 - pages 637-689 - Stephen Lowery
week 15 : April 20 - pages 689-738 - Katherine Gilhooley
week 16 : April 27 - pages 738-784 - Jodi Mardesich
week 17 : May 4 - pages 784-838 - Brooks Williams
week 18 : May 11 - pages 838-893 - Ellen Feig

On Dec 27, 10:07 pm, Daryl Learn Houston <da...@learnhouston.com>
wrote:

> I've sent the coordinator an email asking if he can provide me an update. If
> I hear anything, I'll report here.

> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 5:00 PM, ReadingTPA <youn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Infinite Summer website seems all but dead. There has not been any
> > activity in over a month and there are no updates indicating there
> > will be a read in January.

Daryl Learn Houston

Dec 31, 2009, 8:25:52 AM12/31/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll post the schedule and an invitation to the list at my Infinite Zombies blog, which still gets some Infinite Summer traffic and on which a number of people have expressed interest in participating in a group read.

Matt Bucher

Dec 31, 2009, 10:22:18 AM12/31/09
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I think we should wait until we hear official word that IS is not
doing a 2666 read. Also, I think we should not automatically sign up
people this year who signed up to lead sections last year. If we're
going to do it again, we should issue a new call for volunteers.

Matt

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Daryl Learn Houston

ReadingTPA

Dec 31, 2009, 8:22:57 PM12/31/09
to bolano-l
Ok,I agree we don't want to interfere with IJ so we can wait a bit to
see if it announces something. In the mean time we should at least
think about what we may do. We need time to tell people, get the book,
etc. How is this for a preliminary schedule (below)? Of course if IJ
announces a schedule we'll go with what they suggest, this is NOT
meant to override anything IJ does or become a splinter group if IJ if
it comes back. We'll drop it here if IJ comes back and join back up
with them.

Begin reading page 1 on January 23rd, page 51 on January 30th, etc.
Last Day, read the last page 893, on May 29th

The Part About the Critics (GR-Critics-x)

week 01 : January 23 - pages 1-51
week 02 : January 30 - pages 51-102
week 03 : February 6 - pages 102-159

The Part About Amalfitano (GR-Amalfitano-x)

week 04 : February 13 - pages 163-195
week 05 : February 20 - pages 195-228

The Part About Fate (GR-Fate-x)

week 06 : February 27 - pages 231-273
week 07 : March 6 - pages 274-312
week 08 : March 13 - pages 312-349

The Part About the Crimes (GR-Crimes-x)

week 09 : March 20 - pages 353-404
week 10 : March 27 - pages 404-459
week 11 : April 3 - pages 459-513
week 12 : April 10 - pages 513-564
week 13 : April 17 - pages 564-633

The Part About Archimboldi (GR-Archimboldi-x)

week 14 : April 24 - pages 637-689
week 15 : May 1 - pages 689-738
week 16 : May 8 - pages 738-784
week 17 : May 15 - pages 784-838
week 18 : May 22 - pages 838-893

On Dec 31, 10:22 am, Matt Bucher <mattbuc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we should wait until we hear official word that IS is not
> doing a 2666 read. Also, I think we should not automatically sign up
> people this year who signed up to lead sections last year. If we're
> going to do it again, we should issue a new call for volunteers.
>
> Matt
>
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 7:25 AM, Daryl Learn Houston
>

> <da...@learnhouston.com> wrote:
> > Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll post the schedule and an invitation to
> > the list at my Infinite Zombies blog, which still gets some Infinite Summer
> > traffic and on which a number of people have expressed interest in
> > participating in a group read.

Brooks Williams

Jan 1, 2010, 12:08:32 AM1/1/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Just thinking that if we *really* want to give this another go (and I'm all for it) that maybe we stretch the thing out some more.  50p/week isn't a whole lot for a Stephen King novel, but for something like Bolano - 50 pages is a lot.  For me, at least, reading Bolano is a slow and thoughtful process and I had a hard time keeping up with the schedule last time.  So maybe 25 pages at a time would be better and we'd probably lose fewer people as we go along.

-Brooks

Ariel Colletti

Jan 2, 2010, 1:08:53 AM1/2/10
to bolano-l
Hey! This is great! I'm so glad you guys are organizing this. Count me
in....

Just to throw in my two cents: I like the original schedule posted.
Even if it isn't easy to read 50 pages--we are already talking about
four months to read this book. I can't imagine most people sticking
around for eight months.

But I'm in either way!

Ariel

On Jan 1, 12:08 am, Brooks Williams <brooks.willi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just thinking that if we *really* want to give this another go (and I'm all
> for it) that maybe we stretch the thing out some more.  50p/week isn't a
> whole lot for a Stephen King novel, but for something like Bolano - 50 pages
> is a lot.  For me, at least, reading Bolano is a slow and thoughtful process
> and I had a hard time keeping up with the schedule last time.  So maybe 25
> pages at a time would be better and we'd probably lose fewer people as we go
> along.
>
> -Brooks

> > <bolano-l%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c

> > .

> > .
>
> > --

> > bolano-l+u...@googlegroups.com<bolano-l%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

ReadingTPA

Jan 2, 2010, 1:11:51 PM1/2/10
to bolano-l
To make it a few less pages per week but not make it last too long,
how about we start a week early (January 15th) and then end 2 weeks
later (around June 12th)? We can re-do the schedule accordingly. This
would make it about 42 pages per week. I IJ was 75 pages per week +
footnotes. This would be less than half of that.

What do you think about that idea?

> > > <bolano-l%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c

> > > .

> > > .

michaelriccardi62

Jan 3, 2010, 12:55:28 AM1/3/10
to bolano-l
I've been checking in with IS, hoping for it to get active again, and
I'd certainly join a group read of 2666 if you're giving it a go.

ReadingTPA

Jan 3, 2010, 6:32:56 PM1/3/10
to bolano-l
The InfiniteSummer site is not working as of this minute. It was up
earlier today. Does this mean there is an update coming? Or nothing,
just a glitch? Something to keep an eye on.

On Jan 3, 12:55 am, michaelriccardi62 <michaelriccard...@gmail.com>

Antonio Marcos Pereira

Jan 3, 2010, 6:24:34 PM1/3/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Folks, I'm all for another reading of 2666, and actually eager to start it. My two cents:

a. 50 pages was kinda heavy for me last year not because of the amount of pages, but due to the seriousness with which I've taken the thing, the self-imposed demands of exhibiting a close reading of sorts, etc - but I'm sure I could handle this load easier now because I've already read the book and learned a lot about it from the readings that others listers have kindly posted here.

b. I'd love to get the part about Amalfitano this time - I guess I have something to say on the connection with Duchamp

c. I'd love to count on your skills to help this old man here with some kind of tutorial (Daryl already kindly tried to promote my literacy a bit with his comments on the workings of the IJ group, and I thank him a lot for that) on the way to be part of the so far very baffling IS thing.

Best wishes - and a good new year to all (mine started well, at the beach with my family, reading A Confederacy of Dunces for the first time - at 38!).

Antonio

2010/1/3 michaelriccardi62 <michaelr...@gmail.com>
I've been checking in with IS, hoping for it to get active again, and
I'd certainly join a group read of 2666 if you're giving it a go.

ReadingTPA

Jan 3, 2010, 8:37:26 PM1/3/10
to bolano-l
Antonio,
It's great to hear you are interested in reading it again. If we add
the three weeks that would reduce the page count a bit so hopefully
the pace will be reasonable.

I have not read 2666 or anything by Bolano so I will be learning as we
go also. Unlike the Infinite Summer site we will not have a guide. Our
only input and insight will be from each other. Of course, it's
possible that someone who is more familiar with the book can read our
posts and act like a guide or give us some additional insight. That
type of input would be great, but so far it's just the people that
have replied here reading it together and sharing ideas.

Scott

On Jan 3, 6:24 pm, Antonio Marcos Pereira

<antoniomarcospere...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks, I'm all for another reading of 2666, and actually eager to start it.
> My two cents:
>
> a. 50 pages was kinda heavy for me last year not because of the amount of
> pages, but due to the seriousness with which I've taken the thing, the
> self-imposed demands of exhibiting a close reading of sorts, etc - but I'm
> sure I could handle this load easier now because I've already read the book
> and learned a lot about it from the readings that others listers have kindly
> posted here.
>
> b. I'd love to get the part about Amalfitano this time - I guess I have
> something to say on the connection with Duchamp
>
> c. I'd love to count on your skills to help this old man here with some kind
> of tutorial (Daryl already kindly tried to promote my literacy a bit with
> his comments on the workings of the IJ group, and I thank him a lot for
> that) on the way to be part of the so far very baffling IS thing.
>
> Best wishes - and a good new year to all (mine started well, at the beach
> with my family, reading A Confederacy of Dunces for the first time - at
> 38!).
>
> Antonio
>

> 2010/1/3 michaelriccardi62 <michaelriccard...@gmail.com>

> > I've been checking in with IS, hoping for it to get active again, and
> > I'd certainly join a group read of 2666 if you're giving it a go.

ScottyJ

Jan 3, 2010, 10:28:07 PM1/3/10
to bolano-l
Just wanted to jump in and say that I'd love to do this. I bought 2666
as soon as I found out IS might be doing it and read The Savage
Detectives in October as well. I don't know how much I'd be able to
contribute to this, but it would be cool to at least have people
reading the same stuff.

~Scotty

> > > bolano-l+u...@googlegroups.com<bolano-l%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c om>

Lura Limani

Jan 4, 2010, 12:35:05 PM1/4/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com

Im in as well,
too bad the IS guys are not doing it - but anyway, ive been looking forward to this for months..

Matthew Johnson

Jan 4, 2010, 10:45:38 PM1/4/10
to bolano-l
One more interested first-time reader checking in. I picked up a copy
a few months ago - the same time I got Dracula, actually - in
anticipation of this. I started in on my own on the first, since I had
promised myself I'd read it, IS or no, at the beginning of this year.
I'll be tackling it either way, but I'd certainly love to have a group
to read it with (I actually finished IJ for the first time about two
weeks before I heard about Infinite Summer, which I read all summer
long and kicked myself for missing).
As far as the schedule goes, I think 50/week is pretty reasonable, and
I'd lean towards keeping it from stretching on for too terribly long.
My inclination would be for a few more pages per week, rather than
trying to keep things going all the way into August or something.

ReadingTPA

Jan 4, 2010, 8:58:47 PM1/4/10
to bolano-l
I just uploaded a schedule in the files section of the Bolano Group
that we can use as a guide. I also sent a new post about it, but
it's waiting for the moderator to approve it. In the mean time you can
see the .pdf file at the bottom of the main page of the Bolano Google
Group. It starts in January 16th and ends on June 19th. Hopefully
this is a reasonable accommodation of the faster readers and the not
as fast readers. Similar to the Infinite Summer site if you want to
read ahead you can just notate your posts with "Spoiler and the Page
#" or something similar to warn anyone who isn't up to your page. The
schedule has some lighter reading weeks in it to help anyone catch up
between parts.

If this works for everyone, let's plan on starting on the 16th.

Scott

> > <bolano-l%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c om>

Brent Walquist

Jan 4, 2010, 11:00:12 PM1/4/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
Hey Scott - looks great and I cannot wait to start.

Brent

Jan 4, 2010, 11:13:01 PM1/4/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I might be optimistic, considering the workload I usually have for school as well as Bolano's style, but I think we could read a bit more pages weekly...

I also found Infinite Summer after they started their reading, and it had been after I started my reading of IJ - but in a few weeks I caught up and actually read even faster.. basically I read IJ in two months - so I might be a somewhat devouring reader.. :S

Either way I love the plan, and definitely am looking forward to end of the week discussions :)

Eric Walters

Jan 5, 2010, 10:11:01 AM1/5/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I'm in for 2666.  I actually discovered Bolano through Infinite Summer's plan to read 2666, and have read a number of his shorter works since the IS reading of Dracula wrapped up.  I received 2666 for Christmas, so I'm good to go...need to finish Kingsolver's "The Lacuna" by the 16th, I guess...

Medusa

Jan 5, 2010, 6:34:03 PM1/5/10
to bolano-l

On Jan 4, 7:58 pm, ReadingTPA <syt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just uploaded a schedule in the files section of the Bolano Group
> that we can use as a guide.   I also sent a new post about it, but
> it's waiting for the moderator to approve it. In the mean time you can
> see the .pdf file at the bottom of the main page of the Bolano Google
> Group.  It starts in January 16th and ends on June 19th. Hopefully
> this is a reasonable accommodation of the faster readers and the not
> as fast readers.  Similar to the Infinite Summer site if you want to
> read ahead you can just notate your posts with "Spoiler and the Page
> #" or something similar to warn anyone who isn't up to your page. The
> schedule has some lighter reading weeks in it to help anyone catch up
> between parts.
>
> If this works for everyone, let's plan on starting on the 16th.

Thanks, Scott! I bought 2666 a few months ago, and I'm looking
forward to reading it.

The 16th it is!

Medusa

ScottyJ

Jan 5, 2010, 11:07:38 PM1/5/10
to bolano-l
Cool! The schedule looks way doable! Does anyone know how to make a
google calendar? Someone did it for infsum and that was REALLY great
in terms of easily looking up the schedule, especially from my phone.

Amanda Wallwin

Jan 5, 2010, 11:15:56 PM1/5/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I created a google calendar for myself that I just made public - you can find it at: http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7aro6k9r6qj7pjd45us4vs59jg%40group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York  So far, t's just the page numbers on the last day of each reading week - if anyone has suggestions for ways to make it better, I'm all ears.

Amanda

Ryan

Jan 6, 2010, 5:28:27 AM1/6/10
to bolano-l
Pls count me in. I've been meaning to reread 2666. My original plan
was to actually read the five parts in reverse, what was supposed to
be my "6662 Reading Challenge." But I'm sold to doing it in the
company of readers who are as eager as I am to start, so I'll try to
stick to the schedule, and begin again with The Critics.

ReadingTPA

Jan 6, 2010, 6:22:02 AM1/6/10
to bolano-l
Excellent. Thanks for sharing the calendar.

On Jan 5, 11:15 pm, Amanda Wallwin <amandar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I created a google calendar for myself that I just made public - you can

> find it at:http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=7aro6k9r6qj7pjd45us4vs59jg%4...

> So far, t's just the page numbers on the last day of each reading week - if
> anyone has suggestions for ways to make it better, I'm all ears.
>
> Amanda
>

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM, ScottyJ <rulingskamon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Cool! The schedule looks way doable! Does anyone know how to make a
> > google calendar? Someone did it for infsum and that was REALLY great
> > in terms of easily looking up the schedule, especially from my phone.

Matt Bucher

Jan 6, 2010, 11:53:38 AM1/6/10
to bola...@googlegroups.com
I think it's great that you guys have started the ball rolling here!!
I will officially declare that we should no longer wait for Infinite
Summer to do a read of the book.

I am going to use my blog (http://bolanobolano.com) to coordinate some
aspects of the group read so that anyone who wants to join can follow
along without necessarily joining this list. And I *am* going to
enlist a few guides to help steer us along the way. There are also
several things I have planned that can be implemented on a website,
but not on an email discussion list. I am determined not to let this
re-read fizzle out—partly because I think some of the most interesting
parts of the book are towards the end. There will also be a twitter
hashtag.

That calendar link doesn't work for me. What I am going to suggest
though, is starting January 25 (Monday) and going for 14 weeks,
through May 3. The schedule we set up last year was 18 weeks and it
was too spread out over the final two parts of the book. I think the
page count issue is different from Infinite Jest because 2666 is
broken into distinct Parts and some of those parts read faster (or are
more plot-driven) than others.

More info to come. I welcome your feedback.

Matt

1.0

Jan 6, 2010, 7:38:12 PM1/6/10
to bolano-l
I just would like to thank you for stepping up. Infinite Summer was a
great experience and even though I skipped out on their Dracula I am
extrememly looking forward to reading 2666. I really enjoy the
communal aspect of the book read

> >http://groups.google.com/group/bolano-l?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

JayCruz

Jan 8, 2010, 10:39:10 PM1/8/10
to bolano-l
Hi everyone

Count me as in. I followed the reads of Infinite Jest and Dracula with
Infinite Summer and like many, have been waiting to start with 2666.
I'll be reading the spanish version. Don't know if that will affect in
following the schedule. I just bought the book today. Looking forward
to get started with the group read.

> > > <bolano-l%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c om>

> > > <bolano-l%2Bunsubscr...@googlegroups.c om>
>
> > > --