Announcing Java Tech Boise

John Conti

May 23, 2013, 9:42:21 AM5/23/13
to boi...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I, like many, came to love Ruby after disheartening experiences with the Java Virtual Machine.  Today we have an excellent Ruby for the JVM called JRuby and a bunch of new languages hosted on the industrial strength JVM.  Not only that, mobile (Android) and embedded JVMs are appearing at ever increasing rates.  Some of us like to think of Java as a last resort for the JVM ;-)

To this end, Gary Johnson and I have started a Java Tech Users Group here in Boise.  The idea is to cover mobile, big data and alternative languages for the JVM.  Our first meeting is June 13th in downtown Boise (find out more at http://www.javatechboise.org).  The topic will be Clojure (see http://clojure.org), a new dynamic Lisp built on the JVM.  Our current plan is to make this the first of 3 meetings on dynamic languages for the JVM.

Pizza and refreshments will be served.  Some of us will go out afterwords to some place on 8th street, or the new 10 barrel brewery.  It will be a good time I think, and the Clojure language is very interesting if you haven't yet had a chance to play with it.

,John

John Conti

May 23, 2013, 12:31:21 PM5/23/13
to boi...@googlegroups.com
I almost forgot!

There will be a drawing for a Raspberry Pi (one of the nice new ones with 512Mb of DRAM).

Thanks,
John

Brett Nelson

Jun 12, 2013, 12:28:07 PM6/12/13
to boi...@googlegroups.com
The website indicates the meeting is on the 20th instead of the 13th?

Brett

John

John Conti

Jun 12, 2013, 2:29:04 PM6/12/13
to boi...@googlegroups.com
Yikes, I guess I forgot to mail the group.  I'm sorry about that!

The meeting has been moved to Thu. June 20th at 6:00pm.  It looks like that will be a friendlier day to other groups nearby.

Looking forward to seeing you there if you can make it.  I have gotten a little preview of the talk on Clojure, and I think it is going to be great.

Best regards,
John

Sent from my iPhone

Brett Nelson

Jun 13, 2013, 7:43:30 AM6/13/13
to boi...@googlegroups.com

Have another event that am attending that same day, if it gets out soon enough will be there, clojure sounds interesting. Would like to see how it is implemented in java.

John Conti

Jul 2, 2013, 11:03:16 PM7/2/13
to boi...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, June 13, 2013 5:43:30 AM UTC-6, Brett Nelson wrote:

Have another event that am attending that same day, if it gets out soon enough will be there, clojure sounds interesting. Would like to see how it is implemented in java.

Brett,

We did a video which may help.  The audio did not come out as we had hoped.  However, it is a good video to watch if you're interested in coming to our hack night on July 23rd.  We'll be meeting at BSU and will get people going on using Clojure using their own hardware (bring your laptops).

We will be shooting a retake of this video next week, now that we have the A/V sorted out.  Turns out programming a computer has absolutely nothing to do with filming someone using a computer.  Who knew!

,John