The truth and falsity of "BOINC planet initiative"

24308...@qq.com

Mar 24, 2020, 5:16:49 AM3/24/20
to boinc_admin
Dear BOINC Project Manager:
Hello, I'm a volunteer from China. Recently, I heard about a project called "BOINC planet initiative"(Chinese:BOINC算力地球计划) on the Internet platform in mainland China. According to the report, CSCNT Inc. (California Super Computing Network Technology Inc) comprehensively upgraded the BOINC platform with blockchain technology and global commercialization strategy. At the same time, CSCNT Inc. signed an agreement with BOINC platform developer, University of California, Berkeley, to jointly develop cloud computing service system based on idle computing power, and further promote the computing power service of BOINC open source network. Professor David Anderson, the founder of BOINC platform and a famous scientist in grid computing research at the University of California, Berkeley, will also be the chief technical consultant and deeply participate in the technical research and development of the project.

Is this true, please? If not, I hope you can protect your rights as soon as possible, because they have registered the trademark of "BOINC" in China.

I am looking forward to receiving your reply.

David Chubrick

Mar 24, 2020, 12:45:18 PM3/24/20
to boinc_admin
Can't we get someone to monitor the mailing lists??

David P. Anderson

Mar 30, 2020, 3:40:23 AM3/30/20
to boinc_admin
The company, at the request of me and others, changed the name to "SUNET";
"BOINC" no longer appears in the name.
Their web site is https://sunet.cc; there's contact info there if you want to ask them something.

They donated money to UC Berkeley to support BOINC research.
Any resulting work will be part of BOINC, and will be open source.

My relationship with them is "technical adviser"; I answer their questions.
I have a similar relationship with other companies that use BOINC.

-- David

24308...@qq.com

Mar 31, 2020, 4:00:43 AM3/31/20
to boinc_admin
Thank you very much,Professor.

David Chubrick

Mar 31, 2020, 11:31:57 AM3/31/20
to David P. Anderson, boinc_admin
Fancy website. Looked at the who's who... I wonder if they should have just called it Baidu DC. Haven't researched it, but quite a number of them came from Baidu...

Slick, but nothing about what they are actually working on...