Joining forces with an MPICH cluster to BOINC

Juanjo Oncinos

Jan 11, 2023, 7:37:56 AM1/11/23
to boinc_admin
Hi everyone,

I'm Juanjo Oncinos and I am an IT teacher in a little school near Barcelona.

I would like to set up an MPICH cluster with some of my students - our issue is we do not have any code to run on it, and I thought about collaborating with BOINC via our MPICH cluster - we don't know if that is possible.

Thanks everyone for your work helping the world!

Vitalii Koshura

Jan 11, 2023, 8:04:45 AM1/11/23
to Juanjo Oncinos, boinc_admin
Hello Juanjo,

Hope you're doing well.

Thank you for your question and your interest in BOINC.
If you don't have any specific task to calculate but want to participate and help other Projects - you can simply install BOINC (client and manager) software on your cluster ( https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php ) and connect to existing BOINC Projects from this list (also provided in BOINC Manager when launched): https://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php
You can read our wiki that explains how BOINC works: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/User_manual

Feel free to ask any questions.

Have a nice rest of the week and a great start of the year!

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura

Juanjo Oncinos

Jan 11, 2023, 8:28:53 AM1/11/23
to boinc_admin
I am very thankful for your speedy reply, thank you very much.

Question is: I take it I need to install boinc just on the master computer of the cluster and mpich will be the responsible for distribution of the workload?

thanks and have great start of the year too :)

El dia dimecres, 11 de gener de 2023 a les 14:04:45 UTC+1, lestat.d...@gmail.com va escriure:

Vitalii Koshura

Jan 11, 2023, 8:42:15 AM1/11/23
to Juanjo Oncinos, boinc_admin
BOINC uses its own workload distribution, so in this case it's required to install a BOINC client on every node.
BOINC doesn't use MPI/OpenMP/etc because of a different mechanism of work distribution.
You can ready about this on the wiki: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/How_BOINC_works

Best regards,
Vitalii Koshura