Some suggestions for useful features for team management

dividedbymyself

Aug 9, 2008, 6:43:29 AM8/9/08
to BOINC team founders
I founded a Boinc-wide team and I think there are some features that
could be added to the team management system.

- When I change the team name, I have to log into every project
seperately to get this done, while when I change the team discription
this is updated at every project that sychronizes with the BWT
database on the main teams website at Berkeley.
I think it would be usefull to create a check box below the team-name
to opt-in for a functionality "change team name at all projects" to
make it easy on the team founders who would like that without going
through the hassle of logging into over a dozen of project websites
seperately.

- When a new team member subscribes at a certain project, he or she is
not automatically subscribed at that team on all projects where that
team is known. Again I suggest a check box for new members with the
functionality to become a member of that team at all projects that
person attaches or subscribes to at once, to make it easier to become
a boinc-wide-member of a Boinc-wide-team if they wish to.

I hope my suggestions will be concidered.

Bart
team: solists@boinc

John 37309

Aug 9, 2008, 10:25:38 AM8/9/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
Bart,
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments here. There are only a handful of guys working on the development of the BOINC server software. Hopefully some day they find the time to do a full snags list to fix things like this.

John.

David Anderson

Aug 9, 2008, 12:03:47 PM8/9/08
dividedbymyself wrote:

> - When I change the team name, I have to log into every project
> seperately to get this done, while when I change the team discription
> this is updated at every project that sychronizes with the BWT
> database on the main teams website at Berkeley.
> I think it would be usefull to create a check box below the team-name
> to opt-in for a functionality "change team name at all projects" to
> make it easy on the team founders who would like that without going
> through the hassle of logging into over a dozen of project websites
> seperately.

This restriction is there for a technical reason.
Team names on a given project are unique; this is enforced by the database.
Suppose two BOINC-wide teams swapped names.
Then when the update is processed at a project,
the first change (A->B) would fail because of the uniqueness constraint,
and then so would the second (B->A)

> - When a new team member subscribes at a certain project, he or she is
> not automatically subscribed at that team on all projects where that
> team is known. Again I suggest a check box for new members with the
> functionality to become a member of that team at all projects that
> person attaches or subscribes to at once, to make it easier to become
> a boinc-wide-member of a Boinc-wide-team if they wish to.

The BOINC-wide team mechanism can't be used to create accounts
(other than team founders)
because it would mean publicizing all the email addresses.

-- David

dividedbymyself

Aug 9, 2008, 4:08:41 PM8/9/08
to BOINC team founders
Hi John,

Good to get support on the issues. I sure hope things will be improved
over time.

Thanks,
Bart

dividedbymyself

Aug 9, 2008, 4:54:39 PM8/9/08
to BOINC team founders
Hi David,

If things are like that than it will never become more logic and
convenient.
Maybe it would be better to redirect people from the projects "create
or join a team" link to the Berkeley team site, so every team will be
centrally registred thus it won't be possible to create two different
teams with the same name anymore, independant of the project where
they are created.

But John from the above message already pointed me to the Boincstats
website that can do many of the things I had in mind for the Berkeley
centralized team management site, so most of it can be done already.
It's just too bad it can't be done directly from the Berkeley team
site.

It would already help when on the project team sites there would be a
standarized explenation about how to subscribe a team at several
projects (as not all projects update their team database)and for
potential team members that would like to subscribe at one team at
several projects at once through the Boincstats BAM, and maybe other
account managers as well. This way no one would have to go through the
learning curve, lose lots of time and/or search for answers before
they contact the experts to find out about the possibilities that
already exist. Not everybody is a rocketscientist after all. My
inventiveness stopped after I invented the wheel ;)

But thanks for your explenation.

Bart

John 37309

Aug 9, 2008, 5:00:52 PM8/9/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
All in good time, there is a lot of hard work involved in developing software and the vast majority of it is thankless work. The guys work very hard.

As boinc grows, I'm sure more people will help out with developing the software.

If you want more tips, tricks and advice about boinc teams, visit www.boincteams.com . There is a wealth of information there!

John.

dividedbymyself

Aug 9, 2008, 5:12:28 PM8/9/08
to BOINC team founders
Don't let me leave with the impression that I'm not grateful for the
work that's already done. That's not the way I see it. But as I said,
a simple explenation on the project team sites, like the one you gave
me, would already be enough to help a lot of people I suppose.

Bart

Michael Buckingham

Aug 11, 2008, 7:58:20 AM8/11/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
I wish to change my email address for the BOINC founders and the founders email list...how do i do this?

Michael Buckingham

"No trees were killed in the making of this email, however, a large
number of Electrons were terribly inconvenienced."

> Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 09:03:47 -0700
> From: da...@ssl.berkeley.edu
> To: boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
> Subject: [boinc-team-founders] Re: Some suggestions for useful features for team management

John 37309

Aug 11, 2008, 10:04:47 AM8/11/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

Just sign in to google and you can change your mail address and subscriptions.

John.

John 37309

Aug 11, 2008, 10:06:05 AM8/11/08

Michael Buckingham

Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:06:05 +0100
From: paddys...@gmail.com

John 37309

Aug 16, 2008, 5:07:53 PM8/16/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
Well its sitting on this server; http://www.ceta-ciemat.es/es/

Centro Extremeño de Tecnologías Avanzadas
Translated its;
Frontier center of Technologies Outposts

Seems like a couple of guys just getting a new project up and running as a test. I'm sure once they test the BOINC software, they will have a more public URL for the project.

John.

John 37309

Aug 16, 2008, 5:10:27 PM8/16/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
They have a page about "EDGES", whatever that is; http://www.ceta-ciemat.es/es/?q=node/61

John.

Michael Buckingham

Aug 17, 2008, 12:48:13 AM8/17/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John  :)

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 22:10:27 +0100
From: paddys...@gmail.com
To: boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [boinc-team-founders] Re: Edges@Home

David Anderson

Aug 17, 2008, 12:17:51 PM8/17/08
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
EDGeS is described here: http://www.edges-grid.eu/
It's a legitimate research project; I know the people involved.

-- David

Christopher Duke

Nov 4, 2012, 3:28:41 PM11/4/12
to boinc-tea...@googlegroups.com
I wish it would apply a password that we knew to the sites, as there are three projects that I can not access because I do not receive an email when I request for password reset.