BOINC on ARM running Linux?

Greatnessguru

Jan 10, 2015, 11:47:05 PM1/10/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
I have a Compulab Utilite-Pro, an ARM 4-core machine.
I prefer running Linux,  but must run Android/BOINC for WCG projects.

Is/will BOINC be available for Linux on ARM?

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox
Almost 28 yrs, Android/BOINC for WCG

David Anderson

Jan 11, 2015, 2:17:51 AM1/11/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Eddie:
It should be easy to build BOINC for Linux/ARM,
and (for projects that open-source their applications)
to build them also and run them using anonymous platform:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Anonymous_platform

-- David
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boinc-android-testing/4be8809e-3187-4102-a25a-f98d0a2d5130%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/boinc-android-testing/4be8809e-3187-4102-a25a-f98d0a2d5130%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Greatnessguru

Jan 11, 2015, 8:25:29 AM1/11/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I posted a request to WCG:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,37634

Thanks,
Eddie Maddox

Greatnessguru

Jan 11, 2015, 7:51:48 PM1/11/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

I have a Compulab Utilite-Pro, an ARM 4-core machine.
I run BOINC/Android/ARM on it. When trying to also use Firefox, etc.,
it aborts four WCG work units at a time, then four more,  etc.

Perhaps running a "real" Linux distribution, and BOINC/Linux/ARM,
is our panacea. It comes preloaded with Ubuntu...

Greatnessguru

Jan 12, 2015, 7:59:12 AM1/12/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, January 11, 2015 at 8:25:29 AM UTC-5, Greatnessguru wrote:

"Could BOINC be made available for Linux on ARM, please?"

"That is really a question for the BOINC developers, not WCG.

"As for the sciences [WCG projects, who code the work units],
unless there were a very significant number of
machines with ARM processors willing to participate in WCG,
I wouldn't count on them being available for ARM."

Greatnessguru

Jan 12, 2015, 8:45:46 AM1/12/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
I know the BOINC team cannot provide official support for
every OS/architecture out there, or even most of them.

However, Linux/ARM is gathering steam as more Linux
distributions support it, and more ARM products ship
with Linux preinstalled.

I suggest ARM may become the dominant architecture
in the marketplace, despite what Apple and MS may wish.

On ARM, Android is certainly popular for now.
Firefox OS and others are becoming so, too.
I hope the BOINC team chooses wisely.
I hereby nominate BOINC/Linux/ARM.

Thank you,
Eddie Maddox

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein

Jan 12, 2015, 9:26:27 AM1/12/15
to Greatnessguru, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

>"Could BOINC be made available for Linux on ARM, please?"

It is, since quite some time already!

There are a few projects offering work for Linux on ARM , Einstein@Home is among them.

BOINC is available via the normal package management at least on Debian for ARM, Raspbian (for Raspberry Pi), Ubuntu for ARM and probably many more.

Cheers
HB

Heinz-Bernd Eggenstein
Max Planck Institute for Gravitational Physics
Callinstrasse 38
D-30167 Hannover, Germany
Tel.: +49-511-762-19466 (Room 037)

Jan 12, 2015, 12:08:11 PM1/12/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
I added this info here:
http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php?all_platforms=1

-- David

Greatnessguru

Jan 12, 2015, 9:53:12 PM1/12/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
"Research Project     Memory Available     Disk Space     Operating Systems
FightAIDS@Home - Autodock     250 MB     100 MB     Windows1,2, Mac1,2, Linux1,2
FightAIDS@Home - VINA     250 MB     50 MB     Windows1,2, Mac2, Linux1,2, Android3
Mapping Cancer Markers     400 MB     500 MB     Windows1,2, Mac2, Linux1,2
Outsmart Ebola Together     250 MB     50 MB     Windows1,2,5, Mac2,5, Linux1,2,5, Android3
The Clean Energy Project - Phase 2     1,024 MB     2,048 MB     Windows1,5, Mac1,5, Linux1,5
Uncovering Genome Mysteries     100 MB     500 MB     Windows1,2, Mac2, Linux1,2

1. Version for x86 processors is available
2. Version for x86-64 processors is available
3. Version for ARM processors is available
4. Version for GPU is available (Open CL 1.1)
5. Users who choose to run this project are encouraged to set the 'Leave applications in memory while suspended' option in their device profile"
From: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/viewTopic.do?shortName=minimumreq

Greatnessguru

Jan 13, 2015, 1:01:13 AM1/13/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
I booted my Utilite into stock Ubuntu Linux,
the latest updated version from Compulab.
Using the package manager, I installed BOINC.
Started BOINC. Selected WCG.

Event log:
Starting BOINC client version 7.0.27 for arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi
Message from server: This project doesn't support computers
of type arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi

Greatnessguru

Jan 13, 2015, 1:39:31 AM1/13/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Booted my Utilite back into the latest stock Android from Compulab.
"Starting BOINC client version 7.4.37 for arm-android-linux-gnu"

What a mess.

I need Linux to get my work done.
WCG "needs" Android to get their work done.

BOINC/WCG/Android/ARM has major stability/security issues
when trying to multitask with Firefox, etc.,
but can't test same on BOINC/WCG/Linux/ARM.

SekeRob

Jan 13, 2015, 6:02:10 AM1/13/15
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Suspecting when BOINC and the Apps are ported to properly us the Position Independent Execution, PIE, the stability will improve. BOINC with PIE was withdrawn, and WCG has not public tested a PIE version of FAHV. Android 4.1 and up a PIE supporting. From 5.0 it is mandatory.

--SekeRob