RE: [boinc_projects] platform string for Linux on ARM

Rom Walton

Jun 25, 2016, 1:49:37 AM6/25/16
to Eric Korpela, Juha Sointusalo, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

Okay, I’ve pushed out a new build which will have the alt platform defined for all three 64-bit platforms supporting their 32-bit flavors.

I found evidence in the standalone toolchain that leads me to believe that both 64-bit and 32-bit executables are supported on 64-bit platforms.  Namely there are both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 directories in the virtualized sysroots.  Both containing the same libraries.

I found some documentation, namely:

https://developer.android.com/ndk/guides/standalone_toolchain.html#abi

Describing the preferred parameters to pass to gcc to support armeabi-v7a and an additional piece of information about a bug with the cortex-a8 processor.  Applying the extra parameters seems to have cleared up the execution failures on 5 of the 13 devices Google tests us against in the play store.

I believe 7.4.51 will be a good build to get out to the public.

It is important to note that the devices Google tests us against are all ARM devices.  So if anybody has an x86/x86_64/mips/mips64 device you are willing to test out the new build on, let me know how it goes.

----- Rom

Jun 30, 2016, 3:16:03 AM6/30/16
to Rom Walton, Eric Korpela, Juha Sointusalo, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
There looks to be problems with 7.4.51

1. A host which detected the CPU correctly with 7.4.43 now does not detect any CPU.
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=8006871 showed as ARM AArch64 Processor rev 2 (aarch64) with 7.4.43, Number of processors 8.
It got a new hostID, because it now has a new name, plus a new CPU of sorts: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=8034503
CPU shows only as "Number of processors 8", no other distinction.

2. I suspect we have one Nexus 5X on the forums (https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=11070) where the projects list is empty, it shows only the option to use an account manager, everything else is not available.

-- Jord van der Elst.

Seke Rob

Jun 30, 2016, 3:43:52 AM6/30/16
to Jorden van der Elst, Juha Sointusalo, Rom Walton, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com, Boinc Projects, Eric Korpela

There's several reports over at WCG with empty project pick lists, only getting Account Mngr as option, no menu icons left or right top. Galaxy S6 with marshmallow. One has 7.4.51 so proposed to go back to 7.4.43.

On my Nexus 7 with 6.0.1 and 7.4.51 no issue but those with problems were clean installs on new devices.

--SekeRob

(Sent from Nexus 7-4G - 2013)

Jord van der Elst

Jul 3, 2016, 10:05:36 AM7/3/16
to Rom Walton, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Another ping about this, as this version is still the one showing on the Google Play Store. It may not be a problem for the 32bit CPUs out there, but together with download problems, non-populated project menus and not detecting of the CPU, I feel 7.4.51 needs to be retracted. Everyone with problems went back to 7.4.43 and they have no problems with that one. So why keep version 7.4.51 as recommended? (It's not even an alpha)

Cheers,

-- Jord van der Elst.

Rom Walton

Jul 3, 2016, 4:50:37 PM7/3/16
to Jord van der Elst, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

I’ve deployed a new version which should fix this issue.

Basically the Android GUI didn’t know anything about the alternate platform mechanism.  The GUI hard coded what platforms it supported instead of querying the client for them.  I added the alternate platform to the list of supported platforms in the project list.

----- Rom

Jord van der Elst

Jul 4, 2016, 6:15:23 AM7/4/16
to Rom Walton, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
On a Nextbook tablet, Intel Atom x86_64, Android 5.0 BOINC 7.4.51 and 7.4.53 hang immediately upon initializing. They don't get past the title screen.

I've asked what it does when returning to 7.4.43 (although that one won't detect x86_64 CPUs, I think?)

Cheers,

-- Jord van der Elst.

Jord van der Elst

Jul 4, 2016, 1:15:48 PM7/4/16
to Rom Walton, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
This same user installed 7.4.53 on two ARM devices and there it runs fine. He just can't get past the BOINC title screen on .53 on his Intel Atom.
He's now installed 7.4.43 on it and that works fine.

-- Jord van der Elst.

Rom Walton

Jul 4, 2016, 2:10:56 PM7/4/16
to Jord van der Elst, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com

Well that is interesting.

We were getting sporadic reports of the title screen lock-up issue with .43, on a mix of all device types.  Which lead us to the need for arm64, x86_64, and mips64 platform types.

Google allowed us to use one of their device testing facilities, which unfortunately only had various arm based devices, and I was able to track down and (maybe fix?) the additional issues with running BOINC on arm based devices.

I guess I have some more research to do for x86_64.

----- Rom

boincadm@boinc-build-android:~/boinc/android/BOINC/assets/arm64-v8a$ file boinc

boinc: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

boincadm@boinc-build-android:~/boinc/android/BOINC/assets/arm64-v8a$ file boinccmd

boinccmd: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

boincadm@boinc-build-android:~/boinc/android/BOINC/assets/x86_64$ file boinc

boinc: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

boincadm@boinc-build-android:~/boinc/android/BOINC/assets/x86_64$ file boinccmd

boinccmd: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

boincadm@boinc-build-android:~/boinc/android/BOINC/assets/mips64$ file boinc

boinc: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, MIPS, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), with unknown capability 0x756e670000000f41 = 0x104000000070100, stripped

boincadm@boinc-build-android:~/boinc/android/BOINC/assets/mips64$ file boinccmd

boinccmd: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, MIPS, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), with unknown capability 0x756e670000000f41 = 0x104000000070100, stripped

Jul 8, 2016, 7:34:15 AM7/8/16
to Rom Walton, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rom,

This fix didn't do it for this device: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_host_detail.php?hostid=8038962
It's still got no CPU detected at all. Just an empty string and that there are 8 cores/CPUs. That is with 7.4.53

Another report at https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=11082 says that now projects show up in the Add Project listing that do not have ARM/x86 for Android applications at all, like CPDN, Milkyway, primaboinca etc. I see the same thing on my Android (ARM v7) device.

My listing which you can compare against http://boinc.berkeley.edu/projects.php to see if they have Android apps, which a lot of them do not, at all:
Radioactive@Home
CAS@home
Yoyo@home
Citizen Science Grid
World Community Grid
Ibercivis
Climateprediction.net
Mindmodeling@Home
Primegrid
NFS@home
Enigma@home
SAT@home
SRBase
Collatz Conjecture
Gerasim@home
SZTAKI Desktop Grid
Numberfields@home
Moo! Wrapper
primaboinca
Constellation
Milkyway@home
Universe@home
LHC@home
Asteroids@Home
ATLAS@Home
Cosmology@Home
Einstein@Home
Leiden Classical
vLHCathome
theSkyNet POGS
DENIS@home
Malariacontrol.net
The Lattice Project
Rosetta@Home
GPUGrid.net
POEM@Home
RNA World
FiND@Home

-- Jord van der Elst

Jord van der Elst

Sep 7, 2016, 4:42:26 PM9/7/16
to Rom Walton, Boinc Projects, boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Pushing this one back into view.
Thread at Seti with plenty of people with non-working BOINC: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=79858
Can we get a new version out with fixes, please? Or is development for Android at the moment at total standstill?

Thanks,

-- Jord van der Elst.

David Anderson

Sep 7, 2016, 5:08:40 PM9/7/16
to boinc-andr...@googlegroups.com
Dev/maintenance for Android is at a total standstill, unfortunately.
Rom, is that true?
Anything we can do to recruit some help?