Announcing Bob 9 and closing this group except for announcements

bob-devel

May 20, 2021, 5:40:39 AM5/20/21
to bob-devel

Bob 9.0 release.

With this release of Bob, we are closing this group except for announcements.
If you have a question, you are encouraged to ask yours on StackOverflow:
https://stackoverflow.com/ and tag your question with ``python-bob``.
For existing questions see:

This release brings many changes and some packages have been completely re-written.
The main important change is the introduction of the bob.pipelines package which
allows developers to create task specific framework packages (like bob.bio.base
and bob.pad.base) with ease.

bob.pipelines introduces tight integration of Bob pipelines with scikit-learn's
estimator API and dask API for parallelization of experiments in any computing
environment: from laptops to grid engines to cloud.

Moreover, bob.pipelines also introduces a simple CSV format database interface
that lets you integrate your database in our pipelines in a matter of minutes;
no more dealing with SQL databases and non-standard .lst formats.
bob.bio and bob.pad packages are re-written to take advantage of bob.pipelines' features.

bob.db packages are deprecated with this release and instead the database
interfaces (using the new CSV format) are placed where they are used.
For example face recognition database interfaces are implemented inside bob.bio.face.
If you maintain a bob.db package, we encourage you to port to this new format.

This release introduces many breaking changes.
We encourage you to create a separate environment for this release and keep your
old Bob installation intact until you are sure everything is working with the
new release.
You might also face some outdated documentation or missing documentation so we
encourage you to ask as many questions as possible to ensure a smooth
transition.

Please remember Bob is open-source and you are encouraged to submit patches through our mirror at https://github.com/bioidiap

Read the full release notes at:

Best regards,