16.1 miles range test from Haymarket to Reston

David Bern

Aug 22, 2014, 2:42:12 PM8/22/14
to BOAR-net
Friends:

Yesterday, we did 16.1 miles range test from Haymarket, VA to Reston, VA on 5 GHz.  The Ubiquiti airOS Speed Test reported better than 4 Mbps.  You can see the screenshots at the Amateur Radio computer compatible Networks Web site

http://www.remoteamateur.com/

David, W2LNX

ke...@cs.com

Aug 24, 2014, 11:38:48 AM8/24/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com, David...@engineer.com
it would be interesting to see a speed test (or data rate) versus reported signal strength correlation (I know it is not a simple/direct relationship).

The day before your test, I got 18 Mbps speed test results with a signal level about 5 dB stronger over a path of 18 km.

These Ubiquiti M5 units will auto select to run at 130 Mb/s if the signal is better than -65 and produce T/R speed test results > 70 Mbps  (in 20 MHz bandwidth).

It seems like the selected speed "falls of the cliff" as the signal drops through the 70's.- not quite as good as the spec sheets would indicate, but then I do not know what criteria is used when auto speed is in use,.

Ken