ntp

Ken

Jun 28, 2014, 7:31:35 AM6/28/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com

Anyone know the secret to running the NTP Client on Ubiquiti NanoStation or Rocket? I checked the NTP box.

I can ping

0.ubnt.pool.ntp.org

 from my PC here on the network, but after running overnight, the wireless units still do not have the right time in log file entries.

I checked the “startup date” box and that got the right day set, but the time started at zero and has just been running as a timer since then.

Tnx

Ken, KE2N

image001.jpg

Keith

Jun 28, 2014, 9:11:02 AM6/28/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Which  NTP server is it trying to talk to?
Keith
--

The next generation of communications technology in the Amateur Radio service!

Broadband Over Amateur Radio Networks

---

Robert Middleswarth

Jun 29, 2014, 11:56:03 AM6/29/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Have you tired to ssh into the system and pinged from it.  A lack of DNS or it having trouble figuring out how to reach the internet will create a lot of problems

Thanks
Robert

ke...@cs.com

Jun 29, 2014, 10:19:11 PM6/29/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com
Continuing a long tradition of answering my own questions:
I guess that Ubiquiti uses the default port 123 for NTP.
My router already routes that port to one of my Asterisk Linux boxes.

I changed the 0.ubnt.pool.ntp.org  (the default server for Ubiquiti)

to the IP of that Linux box and now the time is working.
I had to do the same thing for my other 4 Linux boxes. One box serves as the master for all the others.

BTW - Ubiquiti does not know about daylight savings time.  I decided to use GMT.

Regards
Ken

ke...@cs.com

Jun 29, 2014, 10:26:34 PM6/29/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com
one added comment - I see now that the DNS field of the NS5 and M5 configuration is blank (I am using static IP).

I guess if I had a DNS entry the the FQDN address might work - with or without the port passthrough.

Ken

Keith

Sep 13, 2014, 7:02:12 AM9/13/14
to boar...@googlegroups.com

A lot is happening, I have another node up in Frederick with a NanoBeam
and a sector dish.
I'll be driving the van around testing access within Frederick, I'm very
interested in the real world access with out towers inside the city.

The van now has a computer, NanoBeam, Rocket Dish, Rocket with Omni, HF,
VHF and UHF radios, NTS, GransdStream Server and a 3G extender.

This will be used for the field test, range tests and demonstrations. So
if you need a portable 42 foot mast to use in testing send me an email.

http://www.remoteamateur.com/2004Van/HomeVan.aspx

Keith

--
Sent from my VAX 11/785