Question about parsing ASTs using Boa

Yiming Tang

Jan 23, 2019, 12:21:38 PM1/23/19
to boa-...@googlegroups.com, cuny-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Boa users,

I've looked at the examples on the website (http://boa.cs.iastate.edu/examples/index.php) but didn't find one that could parse ASTs.  Is it possible to parse (possibly partial) ASTs from git commits using Boa?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

Yiming Tang

Robert Dyer

Jan 23, 2019, 12:55:58 PM1/23/19
to boa-...@googlegroups.com, cuny-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yiming,

The dataset already has parsed ASTs and provides them with our custom data types (http://boa.cs.iastate.edu/docs/dsl-types.php).  This occurs currently for Java files.

In the case of files that had parse errors, I believe we keep whatever partial AST the Eclipse JDT parser provided us and we mark those nodes as SOURCE_JAVA_ERROR kinds.

Boa does not provide support for parsing any other data in the dataset, or manually parsing the Java data (as we already have parsed it all).

- Robert

--
More information about Boa: http://boa.cs.iastate.edu/
---

Yiming Tang

Jan 23, 2019, 1:48:51 PM1/23/19
to boa-...@googlegroups.com, cuny-...@googlegroups.com

Dear Robert,

Thank you so much.

Sorry, I didn't say it clear. My focus is "parse (possibly partial) ASTs from git commits using Boa".  Specifically, I would like to know if AST information is available from commit diffs by using Boa.

Best regards,

Yiming

Jan 23, 2019, 1:50:12 PM1/23/19
to boa-...@googlegroups.com, cuny-...@googlegroups.com
As I mentioned, an AST is available for all Java source files in each revision.

If you need a diff between revisions, there is currently no diff support and you would have to compute one with your own query.

- Robert

Yiming Tang

Jan 23, 2019, 2:51:09 PM1/23/19

Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2019 1:50 PM