Installing and using Euterpea under OS X

Jeremy W. Sherman

Jan 24, 2014, 11:33:44 AM1/24/14
to Book Club
I figured Chapter 2 would start by explaining how to set up Euterpea
so you can actually run the code we're encountering, but no dice.

There are some lengthy and rambling installation instructions here:
http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/euterpea/download/

The short of it is, Windows is very well supported, Linux so-so, and
Mac, you're on your own.

Anecdotal reports indicate that if you have a 32-bit version of GHC
installed, things will pretty much just work on your Mac. Otherwise,
you'll hit problems.

I have the 64-bit version and was able to get things mostly working,
to the point that I can write notes to midi files on disk. The trick
is knowing what *doesn't* work so you avoid it.

Before you do anything else, if you're on Mavericks, follow the
instructions under "Xcode 5 & OS X 10.9 (Mavericks)" here:
http://www.haskell.org/platform/mac.html. This adjusts the C compiler
setting for GHC to go through a shim that fixes up some differences
between how gcc and clang do things.

Then you can get on to Euterpea. Follow the basic checkout and builds
instructions:

git clone https://github.com/Euterpea/Euterpea
cd Euterpea
cabal update
cabal install

Once you have it, here's what not to do:

- Don't try to pull the top-level Euterpea in from GHC or GHCI. You'll
bomb out linking in GLFW due to symbol relocation issues.
- Instead, pull in the specific submodules you need, like
Euterpea.Music.Note.Music or whatever.
- `play` will not work. The FFI call into PortAudio hits some enum
range issue I haven't spent time debugging. `test`, which writes a
midi file test.mid, does work.
- I think even there, I would sometimes run into an issue with ghci
(or when using runghc) that weren't an issue when just compiling and
then running a program. It stumbles into the GLFW issue, even though
you're intentionally trying to avoid it.

Here is what you should do:

- Just write a demo.hs program that calls the `test` function, then
use `ghc demo.hs` to compile it, then run it as ./demo to dump your
midi file. Once that's done, you can play the midi file just fine.

How should you play the midi file? I just used timidity, per the
install document. I cut out almost all the optional libraries to
quicken build time, so my brew install line went like this:

brew install timidity --without-libogg --without-speex
--without-flac --without-libvorbis

I've attached a demo program you can use to check you have this all
working. In the end, you should be able to do this and hear an F#
Major chord:

ghc demo.hs && ./demo && timidity test.mid

Hope that helps,
--
Jeremy W. Sherman
+1 (314) 488–0053

bignerdranch.com | twitter.com/bignerdranch | facebook.com/bignerdranch
demo.hs

Stephen Christopher

Jan 24, 2014, 11:40:59 AM1/24/14
to Book Club
*le sigh*

Step Christopher
Director of Products
Big Nerd Ranch, LLC

--
- Voting Choices: http://j.mp/bnrbc-texts
- Chat: http://j.mp/bnrbc-chat

Stephen Christopher

Feb 7, 2014, 5:44:39 PM2/7/14
to Book Club
I got as far as 'cabal install' and the timidity install. The cabal install had a lot of warnings but appeared to complete.

Next step: carve out some more time, and try the demo program....

Step Christopher
Big Nerd Ranch, LLC

Stephen Christopher

Feb 9, 2014, 7:57:51 PM2/9/14
to Book Club
Woo! Jeremy's instructions worked. I heard a loverly little chord. It actually wasn't as time-consuming as I was afraid it might be. I chose to go with 32-bit GHC to avoid some of the issues.

I didn't yet try all the things Jeremy said not to do. So I can't confirm those don't work like he said they don't. :P

I'm up to exercise 2.1 now that I've got the environment set up.

Step Christopher
Big Nerd Ranch, LLC