[TIP] Macros in bnd

Peter Kriens

Dec 2, 2020, 12:22:31 PM12/2/20
to via bndtools-users
The bnd editor nowadays has such a cool feature that I have to tell you about :-)

If you work with macros you find that they can quickly drive you nuts. They are quite neurotic sometimes. A few months ago they drove me even mad. At first I added a `bnd` command line feature to interactively play with them.

$ bnd shell
> foo=3
        > foo
  3

However, that was always a bit roundabout. So a few months ago I added a tooltip on a selection. If you select a text in the bnd editor (bndrun & bnd) then you can hover over it with your mouse. If you do this long enough, it should show you the expansion when that text is run through the macro processor.

I find that I use it a lot lately.

Enjoy! Kind regards,

Peter Kriens

P.S. If you don't like these tips, just filter out mails with [TIP] from me. I might be sending out more of them unless people start to yell at me.

David Leangen

Dec 2, 2020, 6:30:21 PM12/2/20
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
These are great, and bnd is awesome. Thanks, Peter!

On Dec 3, 2020, at 2:22, Peter Kriens <peter....@aqute.biz> wrote:

The bnd editor nowadays has such a cool feature that I have to tell you about :-)

If you work with macros you find that they can quickly drive you nuts. They are quite neurotic sometimes. A few months ago they drove me even mad. At first I added a `bnd` command line feature to interactively play with them.

$ bnd shell
> foo=3
        > foo
  3

However, that was always a bit roundabout. So a few months ago I added a tooltip on a selection. If you select a text in the bnd editor (bndrun & bnd) then you can hover over it with your mouse. If you do this long enough, it should show you the expansion when that text is run through the macro processor.

<PastedGraphic-1.png>