Bnd & Apache Karaf Cave

Liam Fisk

Sep 12, 2015, 10:36:01 PM9/12/15
to bndtools-users
Hi,

I'm new to Bnd, and have been enjoying learning the ins and outs. One thing that has me stumped, however - how can I release to something like Apache Karaf Cave ( http://karaf.apache.org/index/subprojects/cave.html )?

It is easy to add as a FixedIndexRepo, but obviously that doesn't let me add bundles.

Cheers,

Liam

Peter Kriens

Sep 14, 2015, 5:37:25 AM9/14/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
You know there is also a LocalIndexedRepo?

Kind regards,

Peter Kriens

Message has been deleted

Liam Fisk

Sep 14, 2015, 3:56:27 PM9/14/15
to bndtools-users
Hi,

I tried adding "locations=http://.." to a local indexed repo, but it doesn't seem to support remote repos - as per the Cave examples I've set up a simple repo at http://localhost:8181/cave/http/my-repository-repository.xml . Is releasing to a remote r5 repository unsupported?

Thanks,

Liam

Neil Bartlett

Sep 14, 2015, 4:16:21 PM9/14/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
A LocalIndexedRepo needs a local directory so that we can actually save the index! There is no general way to upload to an arbitrary remote http URL. Most organisations need some kind of governance process around this anyway, rather than letting developers push to a server directly from Eclipse.

One possible process is to take the output of a LocalIndexedRepo, upload it from some kind of CI like Jenkins, and then use its generated index as an input to a FixedIndexedRepo.

Again, you need to design this process to fit the needs of your organisation.

Neil.

--
Neil Bartlett
Sent from a phone

Liam Fisk

Sep 14, 2015, 4:37:11 PM9/14/15
to bndtools-users
That makes a lot of sense, thank you!

Liam

Bram Pouwelse

Sep 15, 2015, 3:03:14 AM9/15/15
to bndtools-users
Hi,

Noticed that there was some interrest in bndtools on the Karaf mailing list recently so maybe supporting uploads to Cave repositories from bndtools makes sense. It shouldn't be that much work you can extend the FixedIndexedRepo to support uploads.

Apache ACE does something like this for the AceObrRepository [1]

Regards,
Bram

Neil Bartlett

Sep 15, 2015, 7:31:19 AM9/15/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bram,

If somebody is interested in looking into Cave upload support, that would of course be interesting.

Unfortunately, being able to upload the generated index is only half the problem. First you have to download ALL of the bundles in the repository in order to read their manifests and index them. There are various ways to optimise this… caching, ETags etc, and we usually only need the first couple of hundred bytes of each file. But it gets quite complicated. This is why we currently only index local directories

Regards,
Neil

Bram Pouwelse

Sep 15, 2015, 7:49:01 AM9/15/15
to bndtool...@googlegroups.com
Hi Neil,

Cave generates the index in this case so there is no need to download all the contents an do the indexing locally. Bndtools would just use the index file provided by Cave as if it were any other remote repository.

Regards,
Bram