Screwed up Dual Boot Ubuntu/Windows 8 (for the umpteenth time!)

Shubham Kanodia

Mar 12, 2014, 11:10:59 AM3/12/14
to bms...@googlegroups.com

Okay so i installed ubuntu on my system which had Windows 8 pre-installed (Old comp so I'm sort of sure it didn't have secure boot and UEFI). I used the "Install alongside windows" option which promised to keep my windows files and programs untouched. The install went perfectly normal.

And now, when I boot, grub does not show up Windows option on boot! I can only boot into Ubuntu.

Things I've tried:

1) Using os-prober

2) Using update-grub (does not detect windows)

3) Using the boot-repair utility

Here's the complete Boot Info Script: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7079712/

Can I do anything about it?

Shubham Kanodia

Mar 12, 2014, 11:22:43 AM3/12/14
to bms...@googlegroups.com
Whats worse, it replaced my D: and E: Windows partitions with a Linux Data Partition. Why would it do that?
Message has been deleted

Shantanu Tushar Jha

Mar 17, 2014, 3:05:06 AM3/17/14
to bms...@googlegroups.com
Well there can only be two reasons - either you missed something while selecting the install alongside windows option, or it was a bug in the installer. Its strange that would happen, even on a UEFI system. You can check the installation logs from /var/log/installer which should tell you what it was doing step-by-step.

In any case, I suggest you restore your windows installation from a backup and if ubuntu's setup still attempts to overwrite the partition table then report a bug.

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM, Shubham Kanodia <shubham...@gmail.com> wrote:
Whats worse is, the installation replaced my D: and E: windows partitions with a Linux Data Partition and is now happily using it! Why would it do that?

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:40:59 PM UTC+5:30, Shubham Kanodia wrote:

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com