Re: [bms-lug] ZTE 4G USB Dongle issue on Kubuntu

Karan Singh

Jan 16, 2014, 5:27:40 AM1/16/14
to bms...@googlegroups.com
For some reason, it is being detected as a USB Mass  Storage device.
Please see logs from Line no 941.
Regards,

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Shantanu Tushar Jha <shan...@kde.org> wrote:
That is weird, because I did see that line in the dmesg output you attached, so there must be something you did that made it happen. Try if ejecting the CD makes that come up. Essentially, unless the ttyUSB device is attached, the mobile broadband option doesn't come up.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Chandan Ram <cchan...@gmail.com> wrote:

I didn't find the line after plugging out and plugging in.
And as you see though I've configured,I should be getting an 'mobile broadband enabled'
Which I'm not

On Jan 16, 2014 3:05 PM, "Shantanu Tushar Jha" <shan...@kde.org> wrote:
Looks to be detected because of this "[ 4830.162842] usb 2-1.5: zte_ev converter now attached to ttyUSB0". Verify by running dmesg before and after plugging in the dongle, that this line should come up after putting it in. Now, as you said you have configured the mobile broadband, what does it say when you click it to connect? Send a screenshot maybe?

And please reply to the same email thread.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 3:01 PM, Chandan Ram <cchan...@gmail.com> wrote:

sorry messed up the attachment last time!

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com

Shantanu Tushar    (UTC +0530)
http://www.shantanutushar.com

Shantanu Tushar Jha

Jan 16, 2014, 5:48:31 AM1/16/14
to bms...@googlegroups.com
Karan, that is the way `modern' USB dongles work, they first report themselves as mass storage and then a special signal needs to be sent which makes them go to the modem mode. The usb_modeswitch package in ubuntu does that automatically and it works quite fine. You can see it switching from storage to modem in the dmesg output.

Karan Singh

Jan 16, 2014, 5:50:06 AM1/16/14
to bms...@googlegroups.com
I shall review the logs in detail once I am home.

Regards,