Baltimore Fiber

mike eaton

Jun 1, 2010, 6:31:56 PM6/1/10
to Community Fiber for Baltimore
Hello All,

I recently heard about this initiative, and would like to thank you
all for your work on the project. Of course I think it would be
fantastic if we would win! I was wondering if the proposal for
underground installation included solutions for residential
installation. In contemplating the issue, I noted that while
underground installation might be tedious for the entire city, I
recently heard about the possibility to install fiber in gas lines.
As the majority of Baltimore has natural gas service, this would seem
to be an economical way to provide fiber to many of the older
residences. Does anyone know if this solution has been addressed?

Best Regards,
Michael Eaton

http://www.gastechnology.org/webroot/app/xn/xd.aspx?it=enweb&xd=4reportspubs%5C4_5gtijournal%5Csummer_2002%5Csummr02hlfiberoptcinlivelines.xml

Tom Loveland (Mind Over Machines)

Jun 1, 2010, 8:01:20 PM6/1/10
to bmore...@googlegroups.com
Yes, residential installation is part of the vision, and all methods are open for consideration: underground conduit, overground poles, and various underground piping systems. For example, http://www.i3-america.com utilizes waste water networks. It's a big conversation that's just getting started. Cross your fingers and think "fiber"!

Tom Loveland
Baltimore Google Czar

Gary Davison

Jun 2, 2010, 1:23:43 AM6/2/10
to bmore...@googlegroups.com
Hplland, MI, has their own unique approach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOFtK65hnA4

GCD