Muni Broadband Networks

christopher mitchell

Jun 8, 2010, 4:18:49 PM6/8/10
to Community Fiber for Baltimore
Hey Baltimore folks,

I saw the Baltimore Sun article about the City considering a network
even if Google doesn't invest prompted me to write you. I briefly
noted your initiative on the site where I cover community broadband
networks - http://www.muninetworks.org/content/baltimore-ponders-muni-fiber-network

I think you may interested in my report on communities that have done
this: "Breaking the Broadband Monopoly: How Communities Have Built the
Networks They Need." It is available as a free pdf here:
http://www.muninetworks.org/reports/breaking-broadband-monopoly

I also write about community network news at muninetworks.org and
@communitynets

If you are not already aware, Seattle is also pursuing a similar
course but they have a bit of a head start on you (you might see what
reports they have done). In the muni broadband world, the largest
right now is Chattanooga at 100,000 households (passed, not taking
service) and they should finish this year with 160,000 or so.

Best of luck,