Telecom Paid FUD to stop FCC push for Network Neutrality

Patrick M. Roanhouse

Jun 6, 2010, 2:08:05 PM6/6/10
to Tom Loveland, bmore...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tom,

This is some very disconcerning news I just found out. On the website http://www.savetheinternet.com ; a site developed by freepress.net; telecommunication lobbyists from Comcast, Verizon and AT&T have been able to get state representatives from both demotcrat and republican parties to send around these letters respectively; Democrat http://www.savetheinternet.com/node/30594 & Republican http://www.savetheinternet.com/node/30593 to try to block the FCC from its current stance on network neutrality by saying its a government take over of the internet.

Seventy-four members of Congress have just signed an industry-drafted letter urging the FCC to abandon efforts to protect Net Neutrality and promote universal broadband access. By signing this letter, these members have sold us out to Comcast, Verizon and AT&T. Our own Baltimore district representatives are examples of this with the dollar amount listed below to how much they got donated from telecom industry lobbyists last year.

Rep. Frank Kratovil, Jr. MD-01 (Dem) - Telecoms Lobbyist Donation $44,500 - Phone (202) 225-5311

Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger MD-2 (Dem) - Telecoms Lobbyist Donation $47,000 - Phone (202) 225-3061

Rep. Elijah Cummings MD-07 (Dem) - Telecoms Lobbyist Donation $56,250 - Phone (202) 225-4741

I'm not surprised they targeted them due to the face of the BmoreFiber push and movement.

For more info on the list of reps who have signed these letters visit

https://secure.freepress.net/site/SPageNavigator/NN_members

We need to get them to flip and I think we should try to set up a meeting with our would be representatives pronto.

Regards,

Patrick M. Roanhouse

Patrick.M...@gmail.com | Phone: (410).929.2008 | Twitter: @Roanhouse | Blog: http://www.plan8ts.com/wordpress | LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/patrickroanhouse

Tom Loveland (Mind Over Machines)

Jun 6, 2010, 6:54:58 PM6/6/10
to Patrick M. Roanhouse, bmore...@googlegroups.com
Yes, this is disappointing. Saw it in May 25 Financial Times: http://j.mp/bWyg4E

It's got the support of both sides of Congress, with Senator Rockefeller and Congressman Waxman, the chief overseers of the FCC, leading the charge:

""The significant regulatory impact of reclassifying broadband service is not something that should be taken lightly and should not be done without additional direction from Congress," the Democrats wrote in a letter to FCC chairman Julius Genachowski."

Per your point, Patrick, "The lawmakers who signed the letter are widely seen as sympathetic to US telecoms companies."

This will play out on a very large stage with major players swinging heavy influence.

Some of us have a meeting in the works with Senator Mikulski and will raise this issue. We can work on the others.

I strongly favor everyone doing their part by voicing concern with our elected officials. Find out who yours are and how to contact them at http://mdelect.net.

Tom Loveland