Re: Centipedes and bindweed

1 view

abarb...@btinternet.com

Mar 10, 2020, 9:32:16 AM3/10/20
to Ian Milton, Steve Gregory, Helen Read
Hi Ian,

I must admit that I have not come across this before but, of course, there are many things we do not know about centipede biology. Centipedes, being essentially carnivores, if they are to benefit from bindweed, could do so either because it gives some sort of protection to the young animals (e.g. through "shelter" or some sort of chemical defence) or, alternatively, perhaps, though some other organism using the plant and themselves being "centipede" food.

I recall that the small bindweed that can grow in gardens was toxic - we lost a guinea pig that way many years ago.

I will copy this to a few people and see if anyone has any thoughts. Meanwhile you might look in Biology of Centipedes by John Lewis if you can find it in a library but I don't recall any reference to the association you describe.

Tony